Flying Blind

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by skunk, Nov 7, 2008.

1. macrumors G4

skunk

Great story here :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/7715345.stm

2. macrumors P6

MacDawg

Quite an accomplishment
    Thanks for sharing

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. macrumors Core

that is an awesome story and i'm glad that it was a safe landing considering the circumstances. requires trust, confidence, and caution.

4. macrumors 65832

benlangdon

that would suck, but very cool story.
    glad he was safe.

5. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Read this earlier, and it is an amazing story.

6. macrumors 6502a

millar876

7. macrumors 65816

Pixellated

8. macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

9. macrumors G3

dmr727

The more I read about this, the more I'm impressed with the people involved.

Anyone see exactly what kind of airplane was being flown? The articles just say "small Cessna", which to me can be anything from a 150 to a Citation X (yeah, I know it's not a Citation in this case). Anyway, I'm curious.

10. thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

A four-seater, apparently. More detail from the Independent:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...tch-after-going-blind-at-15000ft-1001067.html

11. macrumors G3

dmr727

Ah - thanks. That really narrows it down, actually. I'm guessing a turbocharged 182. It's the only Cessna 4-seater I can think of that anyone would bother taking to 15,000'.

Although really, I can't think of a reason someone flying around the UK would take a non-pressurized airplane that high. Interesting.

12. thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I'm thinking that someone confused metres with feet. 5,500 feet was the earlier version. Someone probably read this as 5,000 metres and then retranslated it to 15,000 feet.

13. macrumors G3

dmr727

That would make a LOT more sense!

14. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

15. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Great life-affirming story, I saw it on the BBC World Service when it broke. Thanks for posting it.

Cheers

16. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

17. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well yes, the airplane needs to be pressurized at 15,000 feet or the pilot on oxygen. Also his altitude tells us he was flying in an easterly direction, if that's of any interest.

Quite a story. I wonder if the limited vision he did have gave him any sense of the horizon. I take it he did. Without that at least, he'd have gone into a death spiral very quickly, before anyone could help him keep the wings level.

18. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Interesting story with a great outcome in that he landed okay.

He might have had an autopilot.

Or simply let go of the controls. A properly trimmed AC can continue to fly fairly well for a while.

Of course when help arrived, he could then trust their instructions to keep the wings level.

Anyhow, he did very well to survive this situation. Hat's off, sir.

BTW, anybody here fly with Vertigo for an extended time? Very weird sensation -- especially when in the clouds on instruments.

19. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I suppose an autopilot is a possibility -- even just a simple wing-leveler would help a lot. And assuming the airplane was trimmed, letting go of the controls (a most counterintuitive response!) may help, but I suspect not for long. I mean, the trim would have to be perfect. Then if the airplane started to descend or climb, assuming you could tell, some control input would be required. Now you're at great risk of dropping a wing, pulling back on the yoke to correct... you know the rest.

I've never experienced vertigo in the airplane, probably because I'm not instrument rated and stay out of those clouds. Without reference to the horizon or any instruments (which the pilot reported he could not read), you're going to be screwed in a hurry. I'm going to guess that the limited vision he had out of one eye gave him a reference to the horizon. Whatever visual facility he did have, he kept his cool and did not panic. That alone is a great credit. I've been on that hairy edge a couple of times, so I can really appreciate the difficulty of keeping your head about you in bad situations.

20. macrumors G3

dmr727

It might depend on exactly how much the instruments blurred - it's possible he could no longer read the numbers but could still see enough to interpret the attitude indicator.

I'd love to know more about this, but the media tends to break a story, and then completely forget about it.