Flyover updated!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by stonyboys, Nov 24, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Not sure when this happened, but flyover is now updated for most residential areas and not just downtown/famous areas. Glad to see apple is sticking to their maps and updating it, hopefully after they're done mapping most places in 3d then they'll start working on the flyover glitches.

2. macrumors 65816

Yeah this is supposed to be posted in the iOS 6 forums.

And your post is so vague, you didn't even say where flyover is updated for. Which city in which country?

3. macrumors 601

sammich

Wow, no kidding. Here in Sydney, the flyover was pretty much limited to the CBD and about 1km out. Now it reaches at least 15km in my direction from the CBD.

4. macrumors 68020

macingman

Can confirm that my house is now in 3D when it never used to be. Reluctant to give actual location but I'm about 5KM's out of my major city's CBD in south east Australia.

Very cool. Though the trees appear as giant mountain like objects so that is slightly annoying.

5. macrumors 601

Still haven't fixed the errors I reported the day iOS 6 was released :rolleyes:

They have completely removed one poi rather than correcting its position (unless its even further out than before now!)

6. macrumors 65816

Man, I'll rather they add and fix the POIs first, they're much more important.

Worry about the Satellite imagery later, Apple. As much as Flyover is a hallmark feature of iOS 6, the essential component of Maps is POIs, and I think it is in need of urgent address.

7. macrumors 601

Yep. I know they have a lot of problems to address, but moving a POI two inches on a map shouldn't take over two months. Makes me have no faith in the feedback system at all.

8. macrumors 68030

tymaster50

because they only have to work on that problem and not the thousands of other complaints.

9. macrumors 601

I said that here:

Two months is still a long time to wait for feedback to be addressed.

10. macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Most apps still haven't updated for the iPhone 5 yet either. These things take time. Apple still has to find the correct placement of the POI IF they get around to it lol they're probably tackling the bigger cities first.

11. macrumors 65816

Why do I get the feeling that Apple is allocating their whole Maps team to tackle one country/region at a time instead of the world simultaneously?

Wouldn't it be better to split them into teams and divert resources equally among all regions? o_O All the error corrections seems to be focused on Europe (UK) and US region, even though there are not many.

12. macrumors 68030

sk1wbw

Yeah this will definitely help me find the Piggly Wiggly better now.

13. macrumors 601

I've told them the correct position. If they check Google Street View they'll see I'm correct ;) haha.

14. macrumors 65816

15. thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm in Alberta, Canada so they're not going region by region, since the people above in australia have been 3D'd as well.

16. macrumors 6502

Apples mapping is still rubbish.:mad: The sooner googles app goes live ill be moving.

17. macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Same here, and I'm not seeing any additional flyover added in my area. It's major cities only.

18. macrumors regular

serkan

Well we have tried it in Turkey and it s working amazingly even the streets that are not famous at all.I believe this is going to be better and better everyday.

19. macrumors regular

It's definitely expanding in the Denver area. Here are a couple things I just noticed. In the first screen shot you can see the exact line where the 3D flyover area stops and where the 2D starts. In the second picture you can tell that the 3D map was made during the spring/summer and the 2D map was done during the fall/winter. It almost looks like a fire swept through the west end of town. Lol.

Attached Files:

20. macrumors G4

dhlizard

lol

21. macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Which city?

22. macrumors newbie

Jasonsayhi

23. macrumors G5

Rogifan

What's the point of flyover other than it looks cool? I would think their focus should be fixing core functionality like poi's rather than bells and whistles like flyover.

24. macrumors 65816

Maybe our crappy and super cloudy satellite imagery will be fixed by 2014, then Flyover will be added in 2017.

----------

Precisely my point. POIs are by far one of the most crucial part of Maps. Apparently the 100 million POIs that Forstall claims isn't enough for the world.

25. macrumors 6502

Good news for everyone who hates the new maps.