Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Does anyone have one of these? How's the quality? Is it good (like from a burned-CD) or is it bad (like trying to listen to a radio station with bad reception)?

If you have one, please specify which one you have too.

Thank you :)

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
Griffin iTrip.

Sounds like an FM Station. Can go in and out with reception.

It's an FM Transmitter after all..don't expect anything near CD quality. If you don't have a tape deck and you want to broadcast your tunes...it's AWESOME.

I recommend the iTrip because it has better features than the TuneCast.

It actually has SW that tunes into a station and locks it in and it allows for Any station on the dial to be ur station not just 2 like the belkin tunecast.

MacBoyX

pduck

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
I have an FM transmitter made by C. Crane that works very well. So far, I only use it connected to my desktop to transmit to my stereo and bedside clock radio. It can be powered by either batteries or AC adapter. You can set the FM frequency anywhere so you have more flexiblity. http://www.ccrane.com

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I use an iRock for my CD player, and plan to use it with my iPod when I get it, until the new 3G iTrip is available. It gets great reception, runs on two AAA, but I have some problems when using it at work. My iEar recieves some distortions, and some times I have to sit a certain way to get a good signal. In the car though, its my only option and sounds better than most FM stations, it even transfers the BASS I have programed in iTunes well, and works great when watching a movie in the ferry line.

TEG

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
like the problem is that there are so many on ebay. Can someone find one that is good and at a decent price?

The iTrip looks very compact and very nice, but is it difficult to use? Cause I'm reading something and it sounds so complicated..I have to install stuff and then make stations or something? :confused: or more playlists??

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
yes you do have to install some software to use iTrip, but it is far from complicated. You should be able to install and familiarize yourself with the whole system of switching radio frequencies within about five minutes. The great thing about the iTrip is that you have to install software because this allows you complete freedom to choose an unused frequency. Again, it is very easy to use.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
ooh okay...but what about this i read about something that you have to create playlists or something??

applefan

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2003
No. Cal.
iEric
I had an iTrip for a while. The set-up wasn't hard, but using your scale, it was never good and it was often bad. The problems may have been specific to my geography and the distances i'd cover in a day. I eventually returned it and forfeited a 10% restocking fee, good riddance to it. It drove me nuts, always looking for a clear channel.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I have a friend who has an iTrip, and I have a Tunecast that I bought from my friend for $10. The Tunecast works well at my house, where there is little radio reception, but does not work well other places. The iTrip is not all that hot either here in L.A., since most of the airwaves are taken. The Tunecast was fine for $10, but not worth the price that was originally paid for it (~$30).

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I've got a Belkin transmitter. I would rather have an iTrip but at the time I got this they weren't out for the new iPods. When it's sounding good the quality is like listening to FM radio. When it's bad it's bad. You can only chose from 4 frequencies (88.3, 88.5, 88.7, 88.9) so if you live in a big city you probably already have stations broadcasting on those frequencies which will give you interference. It also sometimes produces a loud whine that you can't get rid of.

richt

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2003
I understand the U.K. has banned iTrip. Does anyone know which other countries have or may ban iTrip or like devices? Japan?

thanks

Catt

macrumors member
May 21, 2003
London, UK
Bascially it counts as running your own pirate radio station.
It doesn't bother me that its been banned because I have no need of an iTrip but I'm sure its really annoyed many people, not least the manufacturer- who could make a fair bit of cash from the UK and other European markets.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Does anyone know when about the iTrip for the 3rd gen iPods will come out? I dont want to wait :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.