Fm transmitter for your iPod

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Heart Break Kid, May 26, 2003.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

Just wondering. The FM transmitter for your iPod lets you listen to your iPod tunes in your car by using a preset freq right?

I have a 17" Al Book, and all my mp3s are on it. Would it be possible to set that transmitter up on my powerbook so i can listen to my mp3s on my home stereos system?

2. dethl macrumors regular

As long as your powerbook has a headphone jack and your stereo has an FM tuner, you should be able to do that.

3. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Since we're on the subject, which FM transmitter do you guys recommend? I've seen mixed reviews of all of the major players, so I was wondering if anyone has any hands on experience. Thanks! :)

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Don't. In a car, you can put up with crappy reception-- your reception is normally not that great, plus car and traffic noises mask imperfections in sound quality. In a home stereo, the imperfections (whining, artifacts, static) would probably drive you nuts. FM transmitters should only be used when no hard-line solution can be found-- and your stereo probably has some sort of sound input. Just plug your powerbook into that, really it's easier, cheaper, and a lot better quality--

as for which iPod transmitter to use... I've only used the itrip, but i'm very happy with it :)

pnw

5. Macette macrumors 6502

i've been using the transpod (which plugs the pod into your cigarette lighter as well, and so charges while you drive), and it's pretty good.

if you want to play your mp3s on your home stereo, and it has a Auxilliary jack or something, you can use a stereo-mini-jack to RCA cable to connect your computer to your stereo. The sound is much better than an FM transmitter.

6. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I use the Belkin TuneCast and it works pretty well. Uses batteries fairly quickly though.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

8. DeKa macrumors member

I think you should all look at what I bought to use with my iPod: http://www.ccrane.com/fm_transmitter_in_radio_accessories.asp

I have no complaints at all and most of the reviews I've read of the iTrip haven't been positive. There's another thread going just below this one at the moment about the iTrip...

Derek.

9. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I both agree and disagree. If you have a hardline, it is probably better than a transmitter. However, the problem I have with transmitters in a car is excatly the reason why they're OK at home...

I've tried the iRock and Transpod both. Neither one was strong enough to hold remain the the most powerful signal on my daily commute (60 miles). I found myself constantly looking for a better clear channel as every piss-ant 10 watt student run station I drove past watered down my signal. eventually, I gave up and use lower-fidelity, but no fuss, tape adapter.

However, while spending time at my in-laws cottage, the only radio around was a portable "boom-box" type thing. I sat by iPod and iRock next to it for an afternoon and had no problems and more than adequate fidelity. And since we were all motionless, the signal remained constant.

So there you go. Transmitters in cars: Frustrating. Transmitters at home: Fine.

10. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Does this have a strogner signal emitter than the iRock or Transpod? Anyone?

11. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

you can't buy fm transmitters for any MP3 player/md player in the UK as they're classed as pirate radio stations so therefore illegal! (a range of 5m, hardly a radio station is it??)

12. jakel macrumors newbie

I bought an iRock when I got my ibook last year, and I have been extremely disappointed with its performance.
    I thought it would be cool to have the ibook act as a jukebox in my van sitting on the seat next to me and connecting to my van's stereo via the irock transmitter.
    However the reception I got was totally unacceptable, and I probably haven't used the thing more than 5 times total, and each time I've wanted to throw it out the window.
    Possibly I was expecting to much, but I don't recommend the irock.

13. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

Re: Fm transmitter for your iPod

This quote dates back to ancient times when the English Pound Sterling was still a powerful currency. Back then, 1£ was 2$, so 1p was 2 cents. Easy.

14. DeKa macrumors member

Foxer,
    It sure does... it transmits strong enough that friends in nearby cars can tune into it. I've been extremely happy with it here in Australia anyway :) I know we don't have as many radio stations as you do so less interference, but with such strong transmission it should be good in the USA too.

The best thing with it is the digital tuner. If you do get interference you just hit the up or down button to change frequency.

I keep my transmitter in the glove box with the cable coming out to the centre console where I keep my iPod when I'm in the car.

Derek.

15. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

You can get tons of FM transmitters that simply plug into the headphone port.

There are a few iPod designed ones like iTrip.

But some of the FM trans'ters are really really ugly but have good quality, I'm waiting a while for new ones.

16. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

thanks for all the tips, you've all made MY pending decision easier to make!

17. bellis1 macrumors 6502

FM Transmitter Experience

I just drove fron New Orleans to Los Angeles and I had the same idea. I played iTunes and bought some audio books from audible.com. So I originally bought the iRock and returned the thing as I tested it in New Orleans city and the quality was crap. I bought another one by Belkin and the quality was about the same but I kept it. It worked fine for my uses except when I was going through the big cities. I would have to change the frequency. ALthough I only had to change the frequency less than 10 times. The quality is not fantastic but decent and I did not have a tape deck in my car only a CD so it was my only choice. I wish someone would make a more powerful option. It made the trip go faster. The other thing that made the trip go a bit faster was having nationwide service and a bluetooth modem. Ever try to read email and drive at the sametime?

18. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Re: FM Transmitter Experience

I did once but I ran into the person I was e-mailing.

:D

19. senseibiz macrumors regular

I agree, I purchased this when the new ipods came out. They work really well, downside, the batteries go very fast.

maybe i should purchase the itrip for the new ipod when it comes out. but will the ipod battery go quick.
    Does anyone have the itrip? Does your ipod battery life last.
    Please let me know. Thank you..

20. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

I have a headphone to tape, but no heaphone to CD.

I will invent one!!!

21. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Ok, so senseibiz and bellis1 are fans of the Belkin transmitter. What's the battery life like? Will I have to replace it inside 8 hours, or will it work for a few solid days before it craps out? I'm not terribly hung up on form factor, so that's not an issue. I have a new (15 GB) model, so there aren't any custom designed transmitters yet anyway. I'm stuck with the headphone jack models. Which of these do you folks recommend. I'll be taking a trip up to the local lake this weekend and would absolutely love to be able to broadcast the contents of my iPod over the outdoor stereo system or in the boat. I work at Best Buy, so I can buy the Belkin tomorrow if it's satisfactory. Thanks for the input. :)

22. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

buy iCable. lose money.

but it will look cool hooked up to your powerbook, for sure. the insulation is cloth! hehehehe.

23. unc32 macrumors regular

I just got an iTrip and it sucks. The sound quality is terrible, worse than a tape adapter. There is a horrible high pitched tone that is similiar to an AM station. Although it looks good, its function is not.

24. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

oh man!!!! are they nutzz or what??

25. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

they? easy - i'm one of them ;)

...i know what you mean though, its stupid but i guess it doesn't affect me seeing as i don't own an iPod to begin with :(