Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecwyatt

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
High everybody, I was hoping for some help.

I am working on a educational/religious site (preliminary right now) for someone. The pages in this site will have articles, in these articles they would have footnotes or scripture refs. What the client wants is so when you have a footnote or scrip. ref a "pop-up" window appears when you rollover the link. The box would then dissapear on mouse out. It is similar to the way that comingsoon.net does there "inline" Ads.

Any idea on where I can learn to do this or if any one has done it. and would like to share their secrets that would be really appreciated:D.

I should metion that PHP or the likes is a no go for this persons site. If I possible I would like to stick with Javascript and or CSS (pure CSS would be great)

Any help or feed back would be great.

thanks guys and gals

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
It should be as simple as titling your links.
<a href="example.html" title="your pop-up text">example link</a>

You can then style the title tag using css.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
CSS Code
Code:
p a:link span{
display:none;
}

p a:hover span{
position:absolute;
top:x px;
left:y px;
display:inline;
}

The HTML
Code:
<p><a href="#">This is a test of what will happen<span>this will pop up!</span></a></p>

I think this will work...it's pure CSS, nice and simple. I'd do more styling to the span though, but that's the basics.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I don't use CSS, but rather do it the "easy" way (for my limited brain power!) using a standard floating window script.
See:
http://www.mchstech.net/
where I make little pics appear in the laptop when mousing over the links on the left.
The windows can have any shape or size and appear at any location you'd like on the page using x/y axis.
Being "old school" here limits me.... anyone care to "learn me" CSS? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.