Foie Gras Ban in Chicago

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Taft, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the ban of foie gras that was just passed in Chicago.

I'm sure there are a lot heated opinions on the matter, but I really think it is important that people are talking about the issue. There has been a lot of rhetoric thrown around on this issue that has obscured the facts behind foie gras production. There have also been many animal rights activists who have paraded anecdotal evidence of alleged cruelty on foie gras farms in front of our lawmakers. We need less emotion and more fact in this debate.

Is foie gras production inherently cruel? How do we even come to such a conclusion? What scientific evidence do we have to support our conclusions?

If you would like to be more informed about the scientific evidence available on this practice, please read the following report by the EU and the press release by the AVMA.

http://europa.eu.int/comm/food/fs/sc/scah/out17_en.pdf
    http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/sep05/050901q.asp

Taft

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

There's going to be a big problem for conservatives in picking sides here.

On the one hand they have no love for the elitist Hollywood types they'd imagine ordering foie gras. And it's a French dish and we all know what that means. (???)

On the other hand we have the animal rights activists and PETA.

They may have to form an opinion not based on who they dislike.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Shove a metal tube down your throat every day and pump lard and food down your gut and get back to me.

That said, it is some delicious stuff - I love it.

If you want foie gras, make it and kill it yourself.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

iGary's right about the fact that it is very tasty, but then so is veal and a lot of other things.

I think what this issue is really about is how disconnected most Americans are from the entire process of food production. Personally, I feel feedlots and their associated slaughterhouses are infinitely more inhumane than foie gras. However, most Americans simply turn a blind eye to beef, chicken and pork production because they are so much a part of the American diet. Banning foie gras is more about assuaging collective guilt than it is about banning an inhumane practice. The fact that it is a foreign practice makes it easier.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah it's pretty abusive the way fois gras is produced, but it is also an amazing delicacy.

I don't have any experience with it, but I've heard the fois gras from geese that aren't force fed just isn't as good.

I still eat it in small quantities.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I won't touch it. I'm far from an animal rights activist, but that's just disgusting and wrong.

This coming from someone who butchered chickens for food as a kid. I have no problems with eating animals, but foie gras is just too much.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Hello Taft, haven't seen you around here for a quite a while. :)

I'm thinking of starting a restaurant chain that serves nothing but veal, foie gras, caged chicken, and raw meat. I'm going to call it "Cruel Food."

People will stand in line for hours to get in.

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Cajun up birds like 'dat should be considered creole, unusual and fowl.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You forgot the lobsters...

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

10/10 for effort.

:)

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Exactly how I feel. I don't know much about foie gras and what's inherently cruel about the process of acquiring it, but I do know that pigs really have it rough, and chickens that are caged and forced to lay a completely unhealthy and unnatural number of eggs, and a few other things, and yet we don't ban those things. We wouldn't dare.

This isn't about banning an inhumane practice. This is about wanting to appearing compassionate or something.

I especially like this:

Raising geese and ducks under these conditions may be good in terms of farming-practice, but that's only compared to the absolutely inhumane way we treat other farm animals, but lets not kid ourselves.......force-feeding ANY animal until they're severely obese isn't good.

Anyone ever see the movie Seven?? Remember the scene where you see the guy who represented "gluttony"? He was force-fed and ate until he died. It was just a movie, but it was still disgusting to see a human being in that state, fiction or not. This happens in the animal world as well, and it's just as sick.

I don't eat foie gras, but only because I think it's gross. Now I won't eat it because of how it's produced, and I'm on the brink of just being a veggie eater from now on.

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

better yet, hang them up on a hook on a conveyer belt to be fed into the restaurant. and then hit em a few times with the bolt gun. if that doesn't work, try to cut the jugular. all at an extremely high clip to maximize profit. who cares if some of the "waiters" are hurt in the process???

:p

13. iGary Guest

iGary

Most people would be vegetarians if they had to kill and eat their own meals. I'm as guilty as anyone. I don't think I have kept a fish I caught in ten years - just ruins me to kill one and listen to them flap around in the icebox while they suffocate.

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah, true.

i'll admit i don't know much about foie gras specifically. but if non-vegetarians are put off by it (like some are with veal), then suffice it to say that i'm not a big fan... hah

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No, it's amazing stuff. There's a reason people have been stuffing grain down the necks of geese for so long. And it ain't just because we're cruel.

If your ethics can stand it, try it when you're at a nice restaurant sometime. I had a steak with a little piece of pan-fried fois gras and a port-cherry reduction over it not too long ago. Seriously good.

16. iGary Guest

iGary

It is amazingly good stuff. I had it in Quebec City one time slathered in some kind of lard goo. I could hardly walk afterward, but it was sooooo good. Sorry gooses and duckses. :)

17. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ahh, i'm afraid they can't. i'll live. ;)

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Only if you have to eat them live.

19. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

If you translate the word 'foie gras' into English, 'greasy liver,' it loses some of its appeal. At least to me...

20. tristan macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I've known what it is and how its made for a long time, and thus never had much of an interest in trying it. The French eat a lot of crazy things, escargot, lapin, cheveaux, etc. No thank you.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is there any other way?

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Hasn't anybody ever told you not to play with your food?

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Only once. A lobster whose time was up.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He bit you and you bit him back?

25. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-IJ Reilly

You could take a page from the movie "Roxanne" and name it: "All Things Dead"

Oh, and don't forget the Venison - love Bambi on a plate (Plenty of game around Chi-Town ;)).