Folder Actions with PowerPoint Slide Shows

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by kharkaar, Jun 21, 2011.

1. kharkaar, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2011

macrumors newbie

Jun 21, 2011
    Hi everyone, this is my first post and I need help with the following:

I'm trying to set up a folder action script to a specific folder so whenever a file with".ppsx" or ".pps" extension is added to this folder, I want it to automatically open.

This is what I have done so far and it works to an extend:

[COLOR="Blue"]on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving added_items
    repeat with this_item in added_items
    tell application "Finder"
    if name extension of this_item is "ppsx" or "pps" then
    open this_item
    end if
    end tell
    end repeat
    end try
    end adding folder items to[/COLOR]
    It does open the slide show and it runs perfectly BUT THE PROBLEM is when I add a new file to this folder, it doesn't refresh. It keeps the older slide show active.

I wouldn't mind if the older file is deleted upon adding the new one. But I don't know how. Please help.
  2. Moderator emeritus

Jun 15, 2000
    You could possibly just quit PowerPoint so that when it opens the other one it's starting fresh. Try putting this before the "open" command.

[b]tell[/b] [i][color=#0000ff]application[/color][/i] "Microsoft PowerPoint" [b]to[/b] [b][color=#0000ff]quit[/color][/b]
  3. kharkaar, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 21, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I did that but still opens up the old file. Any ideas?

It actually closes the application but opens it with the old file and when I press escape then it closes the old file and opens the new one.