Folder in Mail for certain emails?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bneff, Aug 17, 2006.

1. bneff macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2006
    I was wondering if it is possible to have a folder where all of the emails i receive from one or two addresses to go.

For example, if i subscribe to a daily comic strip (I don't but just using it as an example), I don't want it filling my email box. So can i create a folder so when i get mail it goes to there and all other emails go to the inbox.

I don't know if that explanation is too confusing, but if you have any questions I'll try to answer them. Thanks!
  2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

Jun 15, 2000
    You can make a normal new mailbox (Mailbox > New Mailbox) to manually drag and drop emails into, or make a smart mailbox to have it setup automatically (although a smart mailbox will not move them from your main inbox - it's just a reference).
  3. bneff thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2006
    so it can't be moved there automatically huh? o well I can drag em I guess thanks for the help
  4. VanNess macrumors 6502a

Mar 31, 2005
    Pretty easy. Per your example, set up a mailbox where you want the comic strip email to go, then create a rule (in mail's preferences) as this:

If any of the following conditions are met:

From Contains [enter daily comic strip subscription email address]

Perform the following actions:

Move message to mailbox: [the name of the mailbox you set up]

Everything underlined is selectable from popup menus.

With this rule in effect, any incoming email from that address will automatically route to the mailbox you designate and bypass the inbox. The only thing to keep in mind is that such emails are not counted in Mail's dock icon, because that count only reflects unread inbox messages. The incoming mail sound alert will still function, however, and a new message count will appear next to the mailbox you route the message to.