Folder Issues - Any help much appreciated

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Factory51, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Factory51 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to the site, so hi.

Wondering if someone can help me save my marriage before I get married.... let me explain;

I am due to marry my fiance this year, and all of our organisation had been saved on my mac (budgets, guest lists, orders, samples, photos, etc etc), under a folder stored in "Documents".

After downloading some new fonts, I accidently dropped them into "Documents" which cluttered the folder. So I dragged and dropped everything out onto the desktop, and put everything back into its correct location.

So far, so good.

However, on trying to return to the "Wedding Folder", it had created an alias with a little black arrow in the bottom left corner. On trying to open it, I get the message "the alias wedding folder cannot be opened because the original item cannot be found".

There is an option to fix alias, but I dont know where to find the original, as it isn't where it was.

Apologies for the long-winded explanation, but any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

First, try a Spotlight search for "Wedding Folder" and see what it comes up with.

3. Factory51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that, it only comes up with the alias "Wedding Folder"

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Then the best-case scenario is that you somehow changed the name of the folder and it's still floating around somewhere. The worst-case scenario is that you managed to delete the folder. If it's not in your Trash (which it appears that it isn't, since Spotlight doesn't see it), then you're in bad shape if you don't have a backup of your system. Immediately shut down your Mac and get an app like FileSalvage or Data Rescue (they'll run you close to $100, but they have free demo modes to help you see what's salvageable) and see if you can find it.

5. Factory51 thread starter macrumors newbie