Folder Labels in OSX

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by zarathustra, Sep 25, 2002.

1. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

So, I was playing with AppleScript Editor and opened up the dictionary for the Finder. I found an interesting bit about Finder labels - a feature that I have *sort of* missed from OSX. I liked color coding my projects, funny stuff, etc. Maybe this is something to come?

Attached Files:

2. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i believe that the document labeling system involved the metadata structure of the origional mac os that apple kind of snubed for osx. however, apps can still take advantage of the metadata (thank goodness, suffixes are ugly and dare i say dos-like) and i believe that there was some kind of launcher utility (it may be dragthing, but i'm not sure) that allows you to view (not apply unfortunately) labels from your files. i dont think that it would be too hard to incorporate this into osx and some clever hackers could probably figure out how to edit some of the finder's files to allow it. apple may re-introduce it later on, just look at springloaded folders, people complained until they came back.

3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

You mean that there is someone who actually used labels :eek:

4. zarathustra thread starter macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Yeah, I know...

But when I labeled each folder as I created them, I could search, for let's say, "projects", and voilá. Or when I had to archive a lot of CDs worth of stuff, I could highlight the folders that were ready to burn/were already burnt.

Anywho, this is about as geeky as tabulating the chess competition results on my commodore 64 in the eighties... ;)

5. primalman macrumors 6502a

Re: Folder Labels in OSX

I think there that many OS9 folks out there used labels. It's the way I was able to easily track at a glance the status of the 20-40 design and AD jobs I have going on at once. It is a help, and a simple and effective one.

I hope that this comes back. I'm glad spring-loaded folders did. It is especially helpful with OSX's file structure. That was necessary.

:)