folder ownership

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by uhlawboi80, Mar 16, 2003.

1. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

i looked at the few threads discussing the locking of folders but they didnt really answer my question.

How can i make it so a folder can only be accessed when i am logged in as myself? there is another generic user that others can log in as, but i want it to not have access to a particular folder that contains all my personal files. I know i could leave it in my home folder, but this folder has ended up with tons of stuff in it and with the small partition for OSX i dont want such a large folder there...need the space for updates etc.

the folder is set to ownership me (which has odd chinese characters next to it:confused: ) and the group as staff(me) but others no access.

when i log in from the generic user the folder is accesable. This is what id like to stop...actually i may just lock my movie/tv show folder too so that people that i let use my computer wont be using it for entertainment (co-workers sometimes use it for westlaw and stuff, but that or grabbing a client file real fast is about all i want them doing with my baby)

any help would be great...if i cant do that, what about using disk copy too encrypt it? would that make it password accesable only?

THANX!!

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: folder ownership

3. uhlawboi80 thread starter macrumors 6502

well i just changed all the accesses to everyone, repaired permissions, then rebooted.

after that i went in and changed group and others BACK to no access and it seems to have changed it...now the folder is blocked fromt he other users....who knows why it did that.

its fixed though, thanx alex for taking the time to reply :)