Folder view options in Finder won't "stick"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kalmia, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Kalmia macrumors member

Jul 6, 2006
    Florida, USA
    This is driving me absolutely insane, and I'm running out of things to try, so I thought I'd see if someone more savvy than I could help out.

The dilemma is pretty straightforward: Finder has suddenly started overriding my view options and setting the view to columns for all folders. I can see that my usual options are being retained somewhere, as if I change a folder back to icon or list view and keep the same window open, I can go to different folders, and they'll come up in their usual preferred views. But as soon as I close the Finder window and reopen it, everything is back to column view again.

This has been going on for a few days now, and I have no idea what to do for it. I've tried tweaking the view options for various folders and setting them to apply to all windows, I've tried getting into Finder as a superuser and fixing the view options there (oddly enough, everything came up fine in superuser mode... annoying), I've tried trashing my .DS_Store files and letting them replace themselves. My disk permissions are perfect, I've run my daily maintenance tasks through the terminal. I tried going into and changing the settings there, but I didn't see an option for changing between icon/list/column view, so I just went off to try something else.

If it makes a difference, I'm on a 2.0 GHz MacBook Pro with the latest version of Tiger (10.4.8, for those of you who aren't keeping count).

Any help would be really, really, really appreciated. It's such a little thing, but it's driving me BATTY. :mad: :p

Thanks in advance!

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    OS X has long had problems respecting Finder preferences. I have the opposite problem...I want everything to open in columns, but Finder keeps opening windows in icon view, even though the column preference is checked.

Sometimes I have success setting things the way I want, closing the window, immediately reopening, readjusting setting if necessary, then closing. Repeat a few times in succession. It seems to work for me sometimes, but it may just be wishful thinking.

Yes, it's an annoying's been around for a long time, so I wouldn't hold my breath on it getting fixed anytime soon.