Folder with ? at start up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andy007, Jan 8, 2007.

1. andy007 macrumors regular

When i turn my macbook on i get a folder with a question mark before the apple logo appears and mac osx starts. It has only recently started to happen. Do's anyone know what this means??

the only system changes ive made since it appeared to happen is installing a new 1gb ram module which i have tested with the apple hardware test and rember and neither reported errors and also un-installing bootcamp.

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Thats bad, it means it is not detecting a a start up disk. When did it start? Right after you did something, and does it manage to start even though it has the folder or does it stop there? You can put in the disks that came from them, boot of them and run disk utility. Thatll be your best bet.

3. andy007 thread starter macrumors regular

it loads up but everything seems to be running noticably slower. The folder appears at the start after the black screen then disappears when the apple logo appears and logs in as usual.

I have noticed it today after i installed some more ram and un-installed bootcamp. there the only system changes in about a week and it has not been showing the folder at start up all week until today

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Go to System Preferences in the Apple menu. Select Startup Disk and make sure that your boot drive is selected.

5. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

No, it's not that bad. Simply going into System Preferences -> Startup Disk and saying that it is the default should fix the problem. As she said, she uninstalled Boot Camp. ;)

6. 66217 Guest

Don't take risks. Make a backup of your files.

It probably is only what the poster above me have said. But why risk it? That happened to me about a month ago, and the hard drive died. But in my case the folder with the ? would never disappear.

7. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Oooh! Yes, oops i didnt see that part. :eek:

Sorry yeah this is an easy fix, next time however....

8. andy007 thread starter macrumors regular

I have done this and the ? has now disappeared. However the system still seems to be lagging a bit.

9. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Try a restart, it might help.

edit. Post 500 :)

10. andy007 thread starter macrumors regular

I have restarted a couple of times now and everything seems to be ok. Cheers for the replies

11. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You might use Disk Utility once a week to verify the boot disk and its permissions. There are some odd situations where problems with the disk will appear to be lagging.

13. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Happens the same for me - i uninstalled boot camp as well.

nothing to worry about

aussie_geek