Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moskin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Mexico
In Mac OS X 10.4, folders placed into dock do not open to desktop. Individual files can be opened, but if I want to see the contents of the folder, I can't. Instead, the contents are archived, and a file ***.cpgz is created.

I cannot find a way to stop this action, do anyone of you have had this problem??

How, how, how to fix it?????

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
What?

Folders do not open to the desktop? You mean the folders don't open in the Finder?

Works fine for me without it trying to archive the folder I choose. Oh, I think I know, try placing the folder to the right of the divider in the dock (on the trash can side of the dock).

Any better? Otherwise you'll need to explain this better, cause I'm lost.

moskin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Mexico
Folders do not open from the dock

GimmeSlack12,

The folders that I place to the right of the divider in
the dock (on the trash can side of the dock), do not open in the Finder, as you correctly said, instead of this, when I click on them to open its content they start archiving, like stuffing or zipping, creating a compressed file.

Is the first time I have this problem, I count with other Macs G3, G4, iMac with intel core duo proscessor, they are all with different versions of Tiger, and none of them do this weird thing

I,m using a Powerbook G4 17 Inch with MacOS Tiger 10.4.2

Really do not know how to solve it...

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Are you creating an alias to a folder and then putting that in the dock or trying to actually drag the whole folder down into it?

moskin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Mexico
Dock and folders

I´m dragging the whole folder, if I do drag an alias it does not fix it, the systems starts compressing the original folder anyway.

I am the only one with this bug???

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I have to say this is the first I've heard of this occuring. Sorry but I have no other ideas at the moment.

I'd say repair permissions? Seems to be the cure all for things like this.

Why don't you update your System to 10.4.6? That might fix it.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I'd start by removing

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist
&
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

then logging out and logging back in.

moskin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Mexico
Folder Problem Solved

Well, I finally solved it, I used the software update app and upgrade the MAC OSX to the 10.4.6 version and it solved the bug, now I can drop the whole folder in to the dock and it opens the content in a new window in the finder.

TNX 2 you all for your time, Gimmeslack12, calebjohnston and yellow

peace

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.