Folders from Hell

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pilotError, Nov 19, 2006.

1. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I'm new to the Mac platform (less than a year).

My kids play on the Mac all day and did something that keeps these two folders reappearing.

Original Images and JPEG Images

I put them in the trash and empty the trash, but they keep coming back after a reboot or the next time they do whatever they do.

I'm sure its one of the Applications, just not sure which one.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike...

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It looks to me like they've enable Folder Actions and have assigned the "Image - Duplicate as JPEG.scpt" script to the folder where these two new folders are appearing. It's a script that takes files in several different image formats and makes JPEG copies of them when they're added to the folder in question.

Control-click or right click on any folder and choose "Configure Folder Actions..." from the contextual menu. It should bring up a window called "Folder Actions Setup." On the left side, you may see some folders listed, one of which should be the location where those two folders keep appearing. It probably has the "Duplicate as JPEG" script assigned to it.

You can uncheck the box next to just the script, or next to the folder name, or you can use the "minus sign" button to remove the folder entirely from active Folder Actions. You can also turn off Folder Actions entirely using the checkbox near the top of the window.

Hope that helps. The other thing you may want to address is why your kids did this...it's tough to do by accident, so they were either just trying buttons to see what happened or they really were trying to something with image processing. If it's the latter, what they're doing may actually be helpful for them. But maybe they should set up a different location for the Folder Actions to be applied.

3. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Of if they are kids that don't know what they are doing, make an account that severely diminishes their access rights! Kids and admin access is a nono!

4. pilotError thread starter macrumors 68020

pilotError

Thanks for the tips. I'll try it when I get home.

I'm not sure what they did, but I have right click enabled on the mighty mouse and their little fingers don't always get it right.

They definitely click all sorts of stuff, mainly by mistake. My girls ( 4 ) love playing with photo booth as well as pbskids.org

I used to see things disappear off the dock, but they are much better at navigating around the screen now.

Mike...