Folding and MacBook Pros...

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by spencecb, Mar 18, 2006.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Hey everyone. I just got my MacBook Pro today, and I wanted to setup F@H, but I am quite confused on how to do this. Is it even going to work right now considering the current builds of F@H are for PowerPC?

Also, I know there is a link on the Official thread for FAQ's on how to get both processors working on my dual system, but I can't seem to get this to work.

Any help would be great...step by step directions awesome!

Thanks in advance.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, since the download is PowerPC only still, I don't think that I would suggest doing it yet. I haven't been keeping up in the Stanford forums but I'm sure they're waiting on making the other software compatible with x86 processors. Being a university-driven project, I'm sure they don't have an Intel machine with FORTRAN available for the Tinker work units at this time.

3. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

We'll, I've been folding on my MacBook since I got it, and everything seems to get going well. I used the Apple Scripts so the application takes advantage of both cores.

One question I have, however, is how do you check the status of how much more there is to go before it has finished one work unit? Since the MacBook is using a script, it is not being updated in the terminal. Is this normal behaviour for those of you that may have used this script on a dual core/dual processor machine other than a MacBook?

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The scripts include an alias work, which should be available in Terminal. You can also check unitinfo.txt for progress information. I'm not sure where the file is on your system, so please search for it.

5. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Thanks a lot! That is exactly what I was looking for!