Folding and SETI CPU requirements?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by jeff.macaddict, Apr 24, 2004.

1. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2003
    I just got a new, well, to me, PowerMac 6500/250, with 128MB RAM, and is a loaded machine, however, with my MDD Dual G4, I got it for nostalgic reasons mostly, then realized I could put it to work. So, basically, I was wondering what the system requirements are for Folding, and SETI, or if I should just not do it on this machine. Does anyone know?

And by the way, I run Folding on my G4, could I run, maybe after a CPU upgrade, Folding on this older mac, and have the points all go under my name?
  2. sparky76 macrumors regular

Jul 2, 2003
    I don't think there is any minimum CPU for folding, as long as you can run OS X on that machine.

You can fold on any number of machines, and the points will all record under your name.

Good luck.
  3. britboy macrumors 68030

Nov 4, 2001
    Kent, UK
    There isn't specifically any minimum cpu requirements to run folding (apart from being able to run OSX, as sparky has already said). However, in order to meet the deadlines for work unit completion, you'll need to be using at least a 400MHz computer. For windows pc's, the minimum has gone up to 500MHz.

Your 6500/250 will have problems completing f@h units within the deadline, and won't do much good. Your only option really would be to run Seti on it, as there are no deadlines for that project (as far as I know).
  4. DrBoar macrumors member

Aug 29, 2003
    Distributed folding have not had those deadlines as F@H. Recently the whole project seem to be in turmoil, but when that is sorted out DF is good even on slower computers. I have it on a 7300/200 running 10.1.5 with 320 MB RAM. And also on a Win 95 PC with a 166 MHz AMD CPU

D2OL is an other good project but its dependence on a lot of Java means that you have to run at least 10.2.

For OS 9 and below SETI seem to be the only scientific DC.
  5. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    folding is altivec optimized so a G4 or G5 would get a lot more done. still, anything helps. when I get my new G5 whenever they come out my B&W will be a dedicated folding machine and do nothing but fold. it has a G4/500 in it so I think it will do ok when it can use all the cpu cycles.