Folding@Home: Graphic monitor for console client

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by ve3nvm, Nov 20, 2003.

1. ve3nvm macrumors newbie

Hi folks.

I've written a little app that monitors the progress of a console-mode FAH client (or two, in separate directories on a dual-processor machine) and gives a graphic progress display.

In case anyone would find this valuable,

http://www.themcdonalds.net/richard/software/fah/

Regards
    Richard
    (visiting from team 1971 - "teamMacOSX")

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Welcome!

That's good.

I see that you have also removed the Aqua progress bar implementation. Does Apple get it yet? ;)

3. ve3nvm thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't comment on Apple -- they certainly "get it" most of the time, but I was certainly surprised by this.

One of the users of this app from the other team I'm in commented that it was using 10% CPU. My first reaction was "that's got to be wrong -- the app only reads a 6-line file every 10 minutes, how can it be using any CPU at all?".

Of course, it's the subtask that animates the beautiful aqua progress bar pulses. So, now there's an option to draw a boring but cheap progress bar. (I left the pretty bars available because they're pretty)

Also surprising, it wasn't easy to do that. There was no way that I found to tell the built-in progress bar not to pulse -- I had to abandon it entirely and draw manually.

Anyway, it's fun. Hope the little app is useful to someone. (What I'm working on now is scanning the log file to estimate wu progress rate so the app can display estimated completion time for the wu too).

Richard
    (Ottawa, Canada)

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I was through all that about 8 or 9 months ago when I initially finished mine for people's use.

The progress bar in Java wasn't too bad until Apple updated the Swing graphical elements to use Cocoa instead of Carbon. Suddenly, the thing was taking up 4 to 10 percent CPU by itself. I changed to the Java look and feel and it doesn't do that anymore and it looks the same on all the platforms.

At least, to make estimates, you'll only have to parse Gromacs and Tinker files since you're only doing this on Mac OS X. That will make it somewhat easier.