Folding @ Home Install/Config

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by MWPULSE, Dec 26, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Hi Guys,

Im trying to get set up with F@H, but i can't seem to get the Client to talk to the work server (i guess thats how it works?) Im a bit new to all this kinda stuff. I have been looking through the guides on the stanford site, but i can't seem to make head or tail of it all. I have tried to get it set up through the terminal/console client, but am a bit clueless. (although fascinated by how it all works!) (i do understand programming to an extent, and am ok with programming instructions but i can't really 'just do it' per se.

At the moment i have the Graphical Interface installed through the system preferences. I have applied for, received through the stanford.edu site and input my passkey into the system preferences pane, and have set myself to be in team 3446.

Is there anything else to do?

Thanks a bunch, very fascinating stuff, and i wanna be involved... if i could figure out how to actually get involved that would be handy ;) heh..

Thanks A lot
    Pete

2. macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for joining our team!

i'm sure there are plenty here to help you, and i'll start off by asking first: which client did you install? (version number? operating system?)

and second, can you post what errors you are seeing?

3. macrumors member

If its the system preferences version, then its likely v6.

Without seeing the log, it's hard to be sure, but i suspect that the normal v6 work server is out of work. Try adding the -advmethods flag to the additional parameters and see if that helps
    (first stop the client, wait a minute, add the flag and start it again - i've never had much luck with the graphical clients setting flags properly so it might not stick on your first try)

Hope that helps

4. macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Have you set the Smp argument?

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

lol.. i can only answer about 2 of the 6 questions set there? ahaha ;)

Twoodcc was correct its version 6, 6.29r3 to be precise. (i do know how to find the F@H text log file under library. (see included) I'm on lion 10.7.2, most up-to date etc etc (I'm obsessive about such things)

Looking in the client.cfg file its stating that I'm anonymous-(although checking system preferences i noticed that it had changed from my name i registered-MWPULSE, to that in the F@H pane, also it wiped my passkey. The team name remained however.

I haven't touched anything under the 'advanced' tab, nor 'networking' I don't use proxies anywhere particularly...

I have also included the client.cfg opened up in textedit (lavv that program sometimes lol)

What is the SMP Argument? Sounds dangerous! haha ;)

Attached Files:

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

having just again to change, and keep said changes in the sys pref pane, it doesn't want to stick at all?

Is there anyway, i can just bite the bullet n program it all in? Simples like? ;) heh

7. macrumors 68000

rocknblogger

I'm going to get this going again. About a year ago I had it running 24/7 for a few months. Then I upgraded my system and forgot about it.

I'll have install it and start contributing again :)

8. macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'll be honest in that i don't deal with the sys pref pane much. i would personally recommend that you totally uninstall what you have, and download the console client. from there, we can direct you in setting it up correctly.

if you really don't wanna mess with the console client, i'd still recommend totally uninstalling everything, and re-downloading and installing the client again.

thanks! we could really use you on our team! :)

9. macrumors member

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

OK i will look at this tonight and see what i can come up with :)

Let ya know how it goes

11. Sweetfeld28, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Ok, I have recently got my hands on a 8800GT for my Mac Pro. Ever since I installed it, I have been trying to figure out how to get the CUDA crunching numbers for Folding. Does anyone know how to get this working with the Folding@Home open beta 7 release 5?

In the System Info pic, it states that CUDA is not detected. Even though, I installed the latest Dev drivers, and CUDA drivers for OS X.
    Here are some screen shots of what I am looking at:

Attached Files:

12. macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Pretty sure GPU folding for OS X still doesn't work in v7. Maybe in the future. Have you heard otherwise? It says CUDA is not installed. Did you install it?

13. macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I installed Cuda, but for some reason, everything I tried doesn't work. If if it does it attempts to call for files to download, but gets nothing.

14. macrumors 68040

techfreak85

So yea. I'm pretty sure there is no GPU support on OS X right now then.

15. macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Well... that sucks. Ha.

16. macrumors P6

twoodcc

yes it does. that card might work for folding in windows, but you didn't buy a mac to run windows. hopefully we'll get GPU support for mac in the near future though

17. macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Even if we do, it may not be very much of a benefit because Macs use ATI cards now, which aren't as good for Folding.

18. macrumors P6

twoodcc

True, but maybe that will change with a new client. GPU folding started on ATI cards

19. macrumors 68040

techfreak85

But recently it seems that they are not as efficient for folding as NVidia cards. Hopefully that will change too.

20. macrumors P6

twoodcc

i think it's mainly to do with the client. i could be wrong though. hopefully they will get on the same level in the future

21. macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

is anyone getting spam email, posting comments? Like this:

Attached Files:

22. macrumors P6

twoodcc

luckily i have not received any spam like that