Folding @ home

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by trainguy77, Feb 7, 2005.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Is there a way to run folding @ home without being logged in under any account? I want it to run all the time even without someone logged in.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

EDIT: Looks like one of the moderators moved it. Thanks!

To answer your question:

The only thing I can think of is to enable the root user and add Folding@Home to root's startup items, since root is ALWAYS logged in anytime the machine is on. I haven't tested this, so I don't know if it will work...

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

mc68k's folding scripts give you the option to start folding at boot up, which places the commands to start Folding via a cron job - no need for anyone to be logged in or mess around with root stuff.

The option to install as a service in Windows does the same thing.

4. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

This is what i wanted thanks.

One more question. When i run the single processor. How do i use the commands it mentions? ie work. Where do i enter them?

Also when i run this program there are two proccess named: Fahcore_78.exe i thought there should be only one! There is also two process called dnetc taking up a good bit of CPU what is this?

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

To run the commands, open up Terminal (located in /Applications/Utilities/), type the command and hit enter.

As for the multiple instances of Folding running, it sounds like you either accidentally installed the dual processor script or installed it more than once. dnetc is the RC5 client which I'm guessing you also downloaded from mc68k's page and installed.

To clean up the extra instances of Folding, enter "rid" in Terminal until you no longer see a Folding process. To get rid of dnetc, quit the processes from the Activity Monitor and then delete any dnetc folders you find in your home directory. That pretty much does it.

6. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

i got the duplicate copies fixed but the link for the commands was not created. So right no instead of just typing work i have to type ~/.work or the other ones for pause etc, and those get long. How do you manualy add the links?

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You need to add the appropriate directory to the PATH environment variable. This is the command I use in my ~/.bash_profile:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin

Directories are separated by colons. No end marker is needed.

8. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

ok i can't get it to work what would an ex. look like? would it be

export PATH=$work: (then the path to the file?)

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Where is the work directory located? Is it inside your home folder? If it is, use this instead:

export PATH=$PATH:~/work

You MUST include $PATH as part of the new path if you're adding to it (which is what you want to do); otherwise, common commands like cd will no longer work because their location is no longer part of the PATH! You can still run them manually if you happen to know which one of the directories in the old PATH had the command in question in it.

The ~ is a UNIX shortcut to your home folder.

10. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

ok i found out why the commands where not working: i was using i think it was a bosch terminal not a tcsh. Which means that .login was not being used which means the alias where not being used. so it all works now!

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's why I suggested using .bash_profile, since bash is the default shell in Panther. Nevertheless, you seem to have figured it out.

12. benpatient macrumors 68000

now i see why people switch to a Mac...PCs are too complicated.

;)

13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Configged any 'nix systems lately? :p

14. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Nope, don't understand it, just want the simplicity of a Mac.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You just reminded me of an old UNIX version 7 workalike where you added users by putting the text in the passwd file. Of course, it was a security risk, if you could get someone to turn on the 300 bps modem and keep it connected long enough to hack it. :D :D

My blue and white G3 hard drive is dead, so my folding@home potential is town a bit. Nice to see someone else is taking up the slack...thanks trainguy77, :)

16. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

The nice thing about OS X is that you can be totally ignorant of the underlying OS details and still do everything you need to do. However, you can also get down into the bowels of it and enjoy a modern *nix OS to your hearts content. You get to decide.

17. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Have downloaded and joined the team. My progress bar is still 0.00% after over 1 hour. Is this normal? Did I screw something up?

Has the term Benchmarking...........

18. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

Nothing screwed up, give it some more time before you come to that conclusion. Some work units might take your machine well over an hour to process a single percent. It just depends on your computer.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Welcome and thanks for joining!

Consider that I had a G3/400 and a dual G4/800. The same work unit would take 4 hours 10 minutes on the G3/400 and 1 hour 23 minutes on a single processor of the dual 800 per percent.

Some are more complex so they take more time. Be patient, it'll probably surprise you eventually. :)

20. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

thanks, upto 14% after a couple of days, I think that running seti and folding is a bit much for my wee 12". Just trying to be a productive MR user.

I am going to stifle seti and see the results. I have an old dual 450 with 1gb ram sitting in the closet, maybe I crank it up! :D

21. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Well if it takes this long.........After 4 days I'm at 75% on my first packet. Proccessor performance is Highest.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

When my G3/400 was crunching, some took around two weeks. They've only gotten more complex since then. Three years ago when I started folding, they had work units that took my machine 10 hours to process and got me 0.6 points.

Things are much better now.

By the way, you haven't mentioned what you have. Is it a p874? They're taking me several days to process.

23. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

If you want to whip through packets faster there is an option you can set to only allow download/upload of work units/results of less than 5 MB. I have two AMD machines running like this at home since if they download anything larger they take upto 15 days to get through a WU running 24/7. I keep my PB, and work machine (hyperthreaded P4 @ 2.8 GHz, running one F@H on each thread pipeline) running the big ones. Usually takes them about 4 days or so depending on the WU. The smaller work units don't bump your point total as much but you can get through them in a day or so depending on your processor.

24. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Actually right now I have an *ss kicking headache! That's what I've got!

The protien is p874_p53dimer8 and I'm at 85 %.

So do you get more credit for harder work? I guess I need to go back to their web site and find some faq's.

edit: did probe around and saw this one isn't due till march 28th! So I guess I'm doing ok. Am using a 12" pb 1.33.

25. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I am running 5.02, but are there some settings under prefs that will give the team more bang for the buck?

I guess what I mean is, get protiens that can get more points per WU, or does it all equal out,or no one knows.