folding@home

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Billicus, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I just downloaded folding@home, and am currently folding protein P187_1FSVnat. (Yes, I'm folding for the Macrumors team.) Anyway, my question is this: If I quit, will I lose the work I've put into it? Will the 4.5% or whatever I have done be lost? Or will it be saved on the hard drive for me to pick up at a later date? Thanks. :D

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

hey billicus

the processed data is saved, starts right back up where it left off. thank god for that, it takes days and days to process single units on my machine (folds all night)...

pnw

3. howard macrumors 68020

howard

hey thanks for joining. yeah it saves, it takes a long time for work units to process. what kinda computer are you using to fold?

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You'll need to wait until it's finished for it to show up on the status page, but if you stop, it will still be ready to be completed. However, if you wait too long, it will be out of date and will be given to someone else to finish.

Thanks for joining!

5. Billicus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I'm using an iMac 400DV. It's not the fastest in the world, but it's enough for what I do with it. How do you tell how many points your information is worth, and when the deadline is?

6. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Re: folding@home

welcom, billicus. keep on folding

7. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Crunched proteins not finished by you are not given to someone else, as I understand it. There's a time-limit for the science to be completed on any given protein strand given out, and though you are late in uploading, you'll still get credit, but the scientists will throw out your research because it's late.

Over at SETI is where they reassign work packets, not Folding.

===

BTW, I have a third processor hammerin' away, though only now and then, at the data: my WinXPhome Virtual PC. Can't run the graphical, only the bare-bones text -- which appears to be runnin' Genome@Home data units under the F@H umbrella. Dunno how that's gonna upgrade my stats; I'll hafta wait 'til it sends something.

8. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Well I have my G3 MiniTower folding now (screensaver) it goes over night. And my iBook does it when I'm not using it (screensaver) I thought why not join. So I did. I have the same user name on both computers, does it matter? And yes I am on the team :D :rolleyes:

9. howard macrumors 68020

howard

sweet! thanks for joining. with two computers under your username you'll have twice the folding capabilities as a lot of people.

10. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Sure thing, I will add more ocmputers later... I'll also put it on my Mom's PC so when it is downloading files it can run. The pictures are cool and interesting, seems really nice to help out. Maybe I'll get my 7500 to do it also, except I dunno because I use enough electicity* as it is... (hee hee) :D

*= spell check

11. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Okay I'm really new to folding. I just downloaded Folding@home to see what it was like, and I have some questions that site didn't really answer, so maybe you guys can help me...I just have a couple main questions:

1. Will my computer (a flat-panel iMac) keep folding while it is asleep? (I normally put it to sleep at night.)
    2. Is my computer only folding when I have the folding screen saver going, or can I simply have the folding program that I downloaded running in the background while I am doing other stuff?

Thanks,

--Fred

12. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

13. dstorey macrumors 6502a

nice to see team mac rumors mentioned on the front page now. Nice one Arn...is there maybe some way to use a script to fetch our team position from folding@home and automatically display it there too. That would be cool.

14. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Welcome to our team Fred! In response to your questions.

1. Nop... folding will not run while your computer is asleep

2. You can run folding while doing other stuff, since the folding app takes the spare processor time that you are not using. I have folding@home constantly runnig. It will not lag your computer, so dont worry about that. :)

Nice to see more people joining the Macrumors team! You are all welcome!

15. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I just loaded it on my Mom's PC and its going now, YAY! :D

16. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Well, here's some more PC power added to the team: a 1.6Ghz P4 w 384mb RAM and a 700Mhz Duron w 512mb of RAM. :D

17. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Ok thanks for answering my questions, but...how do I join the Macrumors team? I just put in 0 for my team number so I'm not on a team. I looked on this one site that it gave me with a bunch of numbers and stuff, but I didn't see any mention of Macrumors.

--Fred

edit: ok nevermind, I clicked on the Folding@home link on the main macrumors.com page, and it took me to the team site...so the team number is 3446, right?

18. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Exactly Fred! Team Macrumors number is 3446. Hope to see your results on the team page as soon as possible!

Happy folding!

19. howard macrumors 68020

howard

wow its great to see all these new folding members!!! this is just what we need! keep it up everyone and we will be able to hold our place and move up in the folding ranks!

20. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Yeah, I had never heard of this until I saw it on Page 1. Very cool. I started folding on my Cube a couple of days ago and am (impatiently) waiting to finish my first WU. (For team macrumors, obviously.)

Questions: Do some units take longer than others? Is there an advantage to having a G4 over G3? How about dual processors?

keep on foldin'

21. howard macrumors 68020

howard

here is a list of all the WU

protein stats

it gets updated all the time, and they anywhere from 1/2 a day to 2 weeks depending on the protein and your computer. i'm pretty sure its non altivec so a g3 will do just about as good as a g4...i know my ibook has been crankin them out pretty well.

just recently mc68k develped a script for using dual processors that works well, so that you can fold twice as many proteins! here is a thread about that:

dual processor scripts