folding is fun

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by demoptera, Jan 30, 2004.

1. demoptera macrumors newbie

Hi! I downloaded folding@home on Tuesday and put in my settings to join the MR team because I found out about it on these forums. Later that day I told my friend about it, and he decided he was gonna try it, but for a team rival to the one I'm on. So he joined Mac OS X. Now we have spent the last few days IMing each other like crazy over progress. I have a 800 Mhz G3 iBook, and he's rocking a 500 something G4 PowerMac. We seemed to have gotten the same protein, so competing is easy. I was winning by like 20%, but he started to catch up last night. The best part is how we diss on my boyfriend who thinks distributed computing is a waste. But I've almost got him to try folding, hopefully I can and get him to join the MR team.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You should have had your friend compete with you on our team - we're the #1 Mac team and we're trying to get more people interested in it so we can get more exposure to Macs in the Folding arena.

Glad you joined though and good luck with the competition.

D

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Hmmm, I will join your little contest. I only have a dual 1.8 G5 :D :p

4. Selecter macrumors member

Depending on the actual WU's you are assigned a 1.8 Dual is good for 180~220 points a day averaged out. I had a 240+ point day recently but that was mostly two Tinkers from hell ending within an hour of each other.

Another show this weekend, and I am going loaded for bear in search of folding farm building blocks. :D

Ya know......those 10 buck 2 GB hard drives and 20 buck dual pentium III boards tested and working that I've seen in quantity for years......every year I had no use for same.....:mad: :mad:

5. twiztidn8v macrumors member

Welcome to the team! I have been trying to organize a MacRumors team competition, but there seems to be little interest so far. You should get your friend to join up with us, and we can start the competition here.

I think it would be great fun and create more interest within the community.

Be sure to join in the topic here:
    Community Competition Forum

Good luck moving up the ranks!

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Hehe nice competition going on there.

How about this... His Team... vs our team... just for one week.

:D