Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Does anyone out there fold on a TiBook? If so, do you use the CLI or GUI versaion? Since I switched over to the CLI version, more WU's are processed in the same amount of time and the fan cuts on less. Is this similar to the results of others?

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
i fold on my ti800 but i use the GUI and it gets hot as he!!. is it simpler to just run it in the console?

still easy to turn it off and on or does it set it to a constant background app?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
It runs in the background fine. Occassionally the fan comes on, but not often. I've cranked out a good percentage of my WUs from that machine - I'm very happy with it.

D

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
does putting the laptop to sleep affect the process in any way? or will it just continue from where it left off after waking up from sleep? thanks.

ps. i just joined team 3446, btw.. newbie to folding@home.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by chibianh
does putting the laptop to sleep affect the process in any way? or will it just continue from where it left off after waking up from sleep? thanks.

note to dis you, but if you post here your probably a member of the F@H team, not someone elses. :p (General Rule of thumb)

Sleep affects Folding by slowing it down, alot. While in sleep mode the processor gets little power... etc very little of the processing power is turned on.

I would just sugest letting the screen shut off after __ amount of minutes. Thats what I do for my computers.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Great to have you with us!

Like everything else in sleep mode, it would be suspended but will start again once the machine wakes from sleep. You could certainly get a lot more folding done by putting the display to sleep but you certainly have to worry about the heat and battery life.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I'm folding on my 17" powerbook and to extend the display life I set mine to sleep after 10 minutes. (the amount of time depends on you) And i usually fold on AC ... if I'll go on battery then I will pause folding (to give me more batt life), then restart it when i'm back on AC. The heat on this powerbook is not bad...in fact it isn't hot at all.

Oh and I'm running the console version ... I'm interested in the cycles, not the pretty graphics (I already know what a protein looks like...and it gets old after a while) :)

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
ok.. thanks a lot guys. I got another question though. Does mc68k's script for running it in the background change any internet or network settings? I'm just curious cuz ever since i installed the script, i can't pop my email or telnet or ssh into my school. I'm just trying to elimate possibilities as to what the problem is. Thanks.

Anh

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I fold on a TiBook and I use the graphical version. I have a question for you guys. I haven't messed with the Mac console version. Is there an easy way to stop and start it? I use my TiBook for work, and when it is folding, I only get a hour of battery life. I really need 3 to finish the day. Therefore I only fold at night.

Does the console version just require typing in the command, having it run and the Ctrl>C to exit it?

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
i currently use one of mc68k's scripts to do the folding. i chose the setting to begin folding at boot-up. now, if i want to stop that, how would i do it? thanks.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i currently use one of mc68k's scripts to do the folding. i chose the setting to begin folding at boot-up. now, if i want to stop that, how would i do it? thanks.
someone else PMed me about this.

basically it puts a line of code into a file that can only be editied by a super-user in a special way. it's not very easy to explain.

i could build in a command to enable/diable it if you would like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.