folding on PCs, er, secretly

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by zimv20, Jul 15, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm folding on several PCs which aren't mine, and are used daily. it's not terribly, well, discreet, and there's other problems. i'm hoping there's a better way.

the way i do it now: i fold under the administrator account, the windowed version, users use their own account. i use XP's fast user switching so the accounts can run simultaneously.

problem: sometimes users reboot their machines and log in only themselves. then i must:
    1. log them out
    2. log into the other account that has administrator access, but isn't Administrator
    3. turn off Fast User Switching and turn on the thing that allows me to type a username
    4. log out of this account and into Administrator
    5. turn on Fast User Switching
    6. switch back to the user's account
    it's a pain, and sometimes it's days before i can get in to do it.

i've googled around and found some solution involving an app called hideit.exe, but it's never worked the way it's supposed to.

ideally, i'd like folding to start when the machine's rebooted. further, i'd like it as hidden from view as possible.

who can help?

2. jbeetz macrumors member

to do so is a violation of the EULA...

search for threads on running as a service. I think that'll bury things sufficiently.

But don't do it!

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You're not supposed to do that and the team doesn't need any more problems of that sort, so please stop before you're reported and all your points go away.

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

There was a guy who did the same thing, only he had permission to do it. He had an app that would fold also when nobody was logged in and would fold in the background, didn't matter who logged on, and nobody could get to it. Look in the old threads and you will find it. I think it was about two months back.

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

no worries, i have the owner's permission to use the machines. it's just the users i don't feel like informing, 'cuz i'll get a million "it's slowing down my machine!" calls.

so... permission, yes, advertising it, no.

6. Khaldei macrumors newbie

Okay, when you have permission... here is what you do (2 solutions).

This solution gets you (5d8h) assuming usual log out.

1.) Go to the "All Users" folder under "Documents and Settings"
    2.) Create a new folder called say "Folding"
    3.) Give that folder all permissions for everyone, and I mean all
    4.) Download FAH4Console.exe and HideItX into that folder
    5.) Run FAH, set it up, do all the config stuff
    6.) Create a shortcut with HideItX
    7.) Change the shortcut in properties to: "....\HideItX.exe" -starthide ....\FAH4Console.exe (You can read the instructions from HideItX on this part if that doesn't make sense)
    8.) Take that shortcut and put it in \All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Then you're done. Starts Folding@Home up every time the computer is booted in a hidden fashion. No users complaining, thinking it's actually a Big Brother program, etc. That is what I used to do. Then came the revelation of services. You'll need to visit these web pages from which you can piece together all the data for solution 2.

This solution gets you (7d24h) assuming the computer is always on.

1.) Go to this webpage First Site and download single_folding.zip. This has the files you need.
    2.) Once you have those files go to this webpage Second Site and follow the instructions.

It's quite easy. Okay, that's that. Now on to a serious note... don't do these things at your work unless you are allowed. Awhile back when I was just getting into it (staring with awe at mc68k and bertman, struggling against meeble, maxvamp, and BlackAdder) I did this to some machines (2 dual 2.8Ghz Xeon, 2 dual 3.06 Xeon Servers, and 2 dual 1Ghz XServes) that were mine to administer, but not mine to play with. It was found within days. I got away with a laugh and a request to remove them, but it could have been worse. I learned my lesson. Always ask. Some admins and users as well are surprisingly cool with it and consider your name as kind of a sub-team that they're helping. I've got a guy here who's hooked on checking the FAH log and our stats at extremeoverclocking.

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Go here http://teammacosx.homeunix.com/software.html and download the Windows Service Installer. It works on my XP and 2000 machine even when nobody is logged in. Very very easy to use. Run it again to uninstall it.

Although... I'm *trying* (in vain) to catch up to you so maybe I shouldn't help... :)

8. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

thanks, khaldei

i also found this

a note about my situation: i am the admin for these machines. the company owner is hip to the idea of folding and scientific research and granted permission to use the machines. what i want to avoid is
    1) losing folding time when a user reboots
    2) giving users admin passwords so they can restart folding
    3) giving users a reason to think their new, fast PCs are slow

so basically it's a secret between me and the owner, who knows to simply ask me to remove the processes should it ever be an issue

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Yeah... the exe on the page I posted does all that but it's automated and such... up to you...

10. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

ah, just saw this. thanks!

there will be no catching up! bwah ha ha ha ha!!! until my boss decides to stop folding, anyway. then i'm down to just a couple processors on my macs. eek! :)

11. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Hmmm, I would love to install that on every pc at work! Too bad that our firewall doesn't let folding fetch and send WU's... BTW, that program, if you use it, can a user of a pc shut it down/is it visible with contral+alt+delete?

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Folding vice SETI WUs

Anybody do both?

If so, how long does it take relatively speaking.

For example, if my computer can do a SETI WU in say 5 hours, how long would it take to do one Folding WU on the same machine?

TIA,

Sushi

13. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Well, really don't know that Sushi. But fold a couple of WU's for the team and find out for us will you? :D

BTW, I think you are in the wrong thread...

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Well, I am up to about 5K on SETI so I will soon get the next tab. 10K is so far away, that it will probably not be worth it if SETI 2 comes along. So I was thinking of folding.

The original message caught my eye in how to set up a PC to fold in secret. So I think that I am on the right thread, just wondering what the difference in time is.

Anyhow, right now, I only use my PCs for SETI. I was thinking of moving to folding. Just wanted to gather some info before making a decision.

Sushi

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's visible in the task manager and the user can nuke the process.

16. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Well Sushi, the only real test is to get all your pc's off Seti and into folding till you hit the 5000 points mark. We also need you very badly in our folding team! (we need everybody!!) So come on, give it a try!

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

We'll see. Thanks for the info.

Sushi

18. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Sushi, How many and what kind of machines are we talking about? Are they on 24/7. If I know I can sort of give you a prediction of how many points your setup wil make.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Currently, I have two PCs that can work on Folding.

They both are Athlon XP 2500+ with 256MB RAM, 40GB HD.

One is overclocked to a XP 3200+ It takes about 4 hours per WU running the screen saver version.

The other is running at 2500+. I haven't been able to accertain the time yet since it is remote.

In the near future, I may be able to add a few more (about 10) to whichever cause I go with.

Sushi

20. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd say 100 - 125 pts/day, if you can get them to run 100% of the time

21. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I would say more, something like 150-200 points per day, about a 1000 points per week if you leave them on 24/7. If I got it right those Athlons are both 1.8 Ghz machines, my dual G5 1.8 does that per day. Also, folding doesn't like overclocked machines, maybe you get problems with that.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

23. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

wow, that worked GREAT. thanks!

best. tool. ever.

added two more, btw. one 2.8 GHz P4, one 1.8 GHz P4. should be averaging around 800/day now.

24. Cprossu macrumors newbie

so you talked to all the netadmins and people at the top of the company about what you are doing correct?

also dont go about making an installer or script that already has your username already programmed in or pretends to be somthing else than folding@home....

i'd see if you can get it written in writing that it is ok to use the program if i were in your place.

also it might be a good idea to let the workers know about it so we dont get calls over at folding-community when that 1 out of a 100 people will drop by and say that f@h has magically appeared on their work comp and they want to know how to get rid of it and why it is there.
    let them know of the cause and purpose for the program as well.

and as always stick to the EULA as close as possible, ive seen three too many where this same type of thing would backfire or somthing would be maliciously released somehow (ei an installer or script)

thanks,
    Cprossu

edit:
    sorry i didnt say anything earlier, but i was out on vaccation and just got caught up with all my other forums =)

25. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Maybe if you READ the thread it wouldn't TALK about those things.

God damn. Really people. This is why I don't come here much anymore, people just randomly pop in and pull out some of this. Jeth. WAS WRONG.

We get it.

Let us be.

We have permission.

We understand the rules.

We are following the rules.

Macrumors has the utmost respect for the rules of Folding and respects the community.

Now Let Us Be.