Folding on Yellow Dog?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by HomeBrewer, Jun 7, 2004.

1. HomeBrewer macrumors newbie

Hey guys & gals --

I'm a sorta long-time folder (~75,000 points) who just finished installing Yellow Dog Linux of a Blue & White G3. Naturally, the first thing I wanted to do was to start folding.

I DL'ed the Linux console version, but it won't run -- YDL complains it "can't execute the binary". This is not a permissions problem -- even with file permissions set to 777 this problem occurs. As near as I can tell, it's because the Linux version of F@H is compiled for Intel architecture...

Okay, so I DL the OS X version, figuring that's sorta Linux, and it was compiled for the PPC, but I've got some kindo of .dmg file or something, and YDL still won't execute it...

Looking at the OS X install directions, it says "click this and click that" -- but I have essentially a command line to do this with...

I'm not a Linux wiz, but I'm somewhat comfortable with it. This is the first time I put Linux on a Mac, so I'm kinda stuck here...

Any of you know how to run F@H on YDL?

Thanks --

HB

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'd give the OS X console version another shot - you just have to get YDL to mount the .dmg file (which I'm not sure is possible) or open the .dmg on a Mac and then get the contents over to YDL.

Got a Mac you can open it on?

3. HomeBrewer thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, there are Macs all over the place here -- I'm sure I can get someone to do that for me...

So, is a .dmg file like an archive or something? The FAH executable is inside the .dmg file, and need not remain there?

I wonder if Linux would mount it if I entered it in etc/fstab or something?

Thanks for your help...

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yeah, .dmg files are disk image files like ISOs - I haven't found a way to open them on *nix other than OS X yet.

You can remove the executable and place it wherever you want. :)

5. HomeBrewer thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck. I got the executable file from the .dmg okay, but YDL won't execute it 'cause it's a Mach-O executable...

Very annoying. Why must everything Apple be proprietary? I'm not bashing Apple here, I'm just a bit frustrated by what should be a quite easy thing to do...

So, now I'm looking for a way to have Linux on a G3 be able to execute a program compiled for the PPC (one would think this would just run, but it doesn't).

Any pointers/ideas?

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Short of a re-compile I'm not sure where you'd need to go from here - this is all I could find on the Folding-community forum: recompile for Mac.

7. HomeBrewer thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you're right. Maybe I can convince them to do a custom compile?

Thanks for all your help, Rower_CPU -- if I get this working, I'll be sure to post the solution here so others looking to find it can.