Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Ok, having not used either of the distributed computing programs for awhile i decided to give this folding thing a shot. Two problems.

1) It doesn't show ANY progress being done even if my system is ONLY running folding.

2) The screen saver graphic of the module barely moves, even with the smallest number of polygons.

I'm not running this on a slouch of a machine either, I have a G4 800mhz with a Nvidia GeForce 4mx 64mb and 512 mb of ram. What gives?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The screen saver is only recommended as a last resort since little progress is ever made. Please use the GUI client instead. The difference is CPU usage may be perceptable but it will only use the leftover power.

maineroad

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
It's very common to see little to no progress using the screensaver client. Video RAM will not make a difference nor will system RAM (unless its realllly low).

You may also have a TINKER work unit which are notoriously slow (we're talking days to complete...even for dual G5's).

GROMACS work units are optimized for the G3, G4, G5 and have can utilize Altivec for even more of a boost.

Unless you're hell bent on having visual reference, I'd download the script posted on these forums.

http://calnet.sdsu.edu/mc68k/

The script runs folding as a background,nice process and you can check on its status using terminal commands or reading a log file. This "console" client is the fastest as well, it uses less resources than the GUI or screensaver so it is more efficient.

Read the sticky FAQ at the top of these forums for more help.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Originally posted by bousozoku
The screen saver is only recommended as a last resort since little progress is ever made. Please use the GUI client instead. The difference is CPU usage may be perceptable but it will only use the leftover power.

See I tried running the GUI client as well and it didn't help either...
Ah just found out it might be a problem with a firewall. I hate being stuck behind a firewall I have no control over.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Krizoitz
See I tried running the GUI client as well and it didn't help either...
Ah just found out it might be a problem with a firewall. I hate being stuck behind a firewall I have no control over.

Indeed.

Check out if you have any work units there at all.

:(

Where are you that you have no control over the firewall?

A school?

You could ask them to open the port...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.