Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Hi, just started the folding malarkey to bump up the MR team a bit. Have a wicked-fast connection to the internet (college connection ~ 20Mbit i dunno, never reached the limit!) and an iMac g4 1GHz working solely on folding.
The progress has been at 0.04% for about half an hour now, what am I doing wrong?
Top shows CPU dedicating 70-80% of CPU going on Folding (FahCore_78)

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
James Philp said:
Hi, just started the folding malarkey to bump up the MR team a bit. Have a wicked-fast connection to the internet (college connection ~ 20Mbit i dunno, never reached the limit!) and an iMac g4 1GHz working solely on folding.
The progress has been at 0.04% for about half an hour now, what am I doing wrong?
Top shows CPU dedicating 70-80% of CPU going on Folding (FahCore_78)

Well, the speed of your internet connection has nothing to do with it... it is all about your processor. It is possible that the program just happened to grab a really big protein from the server. I'm running on a G5@ 1.8 and have had some proteins taking many days to complete. My iBook G3 took forever. So, I'd just be patient.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
mcmav37 said:
Well, the speed of your internet connection has nothing to do with it... it is all about your processor. It is possible that the program just happened to grab a really big protein from the server. I'm running on a G5@ 1.8 and have had some proteins taking many days to complete. My iBook G3 took forever. So, I'd just be patient.
K :) Come on MR!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.