*Folding Question*

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacAztec, Jun 20, 2002.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I was told to run Folding Control on my G4 400 with 1024 RAM. Its been about 14 hours run time, and its about 1/30th done....

Should I be using Folding Screensaver? Which is faster? I have my computer asleep more often too...

2. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Rower...

Any comments? You know lots about Folding and such....

3. Draft macrumors 6502

If you are processing a 5 point protein unit, the length of time sounds about right. It takes me about 3 days to process a 5 pointer on my G4 933MHz.

As for which of the F@H programs to use, I would say that they are all the same. The big advantage that you have by running the command line version or the graphical client, is that you will be computing more often then with the screensaver.

A neat thing about running these clients under OS X is that, even though your processor usage is maxed out from folding, everything is still as responsive as without running the client. Because of this, download the command line or the graphical version.

Hope this helps.

Later,
    Draft

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you'd have maybe had more luck posting this in the distributed computing section.

but basically, draft was right. the first one, especially a big one, will take quite a long time. several days.

folding control runs the command line folding with a gui cover, making it a bit easier to use. i actually use folding control and the folding at home app (which i always hide so it runs faster-right mc68k?? ha) at the same time. so i have 2 processors working on 3 units.

probably not ideal. but oh well.... every bit helps.

5. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well...

how do I choose which one is a 5 pointer or a 1 pointer or whatever???

6. Draft macrumors 6502

Re: Well...

You don't, they do. It kinda sucks, because some people like more feedback. Anymore, I know that there is 5 points at the end of all that work.

Draft

7. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

I agree with jello, this is the first time I saw this thread.

Basically all clients are not the same. Folding does not take over your computer, it runs off your idle CPU. So this leaves your computer fully operable. If you run a client with graphics, it is just needless overhead to display them onscreen. For that reason i go with the console version. It is not for the feint of heart, so someone wrote an app called Folding control that takes out all the *nix geekiness.

Folding control is what I'd recommend, but just make sure to change your name and team, since they are automatically set to the MacAddict4Life team.