Folding the same protein on 2 computers

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by mikes63737, Jan 24, 2006.

1. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I am running FAH on two computers and I checked to see how many points the projects were worth, and it turns out that the project is the same on both computers. Am I going to get credit for folding it twice, or should I have one of them start a different protein?

Thanks!
    Mike

2. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I am really really sorry this does not relate exactly to your question. However I have always wondered what exactly folding is. My understanding is its utilizing peoples home computers to do calculations of biological proteins.

What I am wondering is what exactly do I do to start folding and is there a thread that it explains it and two will this be alot of wear and tear on my 2 yr old PB. Will this strain my processor and hard drive to much?

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

iDM, here is the FAH FAQ.

Sorry, Mike...I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure someone here does.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Just because it says its the same protein number does not mean that its the same WU, as one protein has many work units. They should get different WU. Just wait for the next one it should be different by that time. I have never seen a problem with this. Also if you just started folding on both machines sometimes they both get the same WU as there servers think its the same machine with a error.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Code:
    [02:29:49] Protein: p1136_p1130_L939_K12M_355K
    [02:29:49] - Run: 375 (Clone 81, Gen 2)
    [02:29:49] - Frames Completed: 3, Remaining: 397
    [02:29:49] - Dynamic steps required: 4962500

What I've included is what you normally don't see, unless you keep a logfile open or a Terminal window. The line with Run, Clone, and Gen will vary depending on what is being done. The Protein name can be the same as long as the other parameters differ.

6. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! I will check it when I get back from school today.

Mike

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I wonder why people always ask the same questions that has been answered on this forum many many many times!:eek: