folding: weather killed me

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by bertinman, Aug 22, 2003.

1. bertinman macrumors 6502

Hey fellow folders,

I had fun in the beginning of summer when I got 2k+ a day for awhile but now it seems the lightning storms are making quite a few power outages. Folding on my comps will be nonexistent because of that.

Just thought I'd let people know why I am not producing much anymore.

(this also screwed up the mysql db for my stats site I've been working on... :()

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

How long will this last? I hope you're able to get things up and running again - you had a huge impact in the stats.

Good luck!

D

3. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

4. bertinman thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not sure.

I don't remember such horrible storms last year, here in Davis CA. We've been getting smaller storms for the last week at night and it just started getting really bad at night and happening during the day.

The comps will be folding whenever possible, and during the school year I'll be around them more often (do my hw on them).

I'm NOT giving up. The folding spirit is still strong within me!

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

bertinman we will give all moral support.

So very sorry the computers going off and power outages.

I always check restart for unexpected power outage.

:( hope you can get them back up!

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Yeah, we've had bad storms here and our APCs have been working overtime because of it. Hopefully in two weeks when I go back to school the storms won't be so bad. The hurricane we had last year took out the entire school network for a good week! Hopefully when I get my roommates to contribute to our folding team, it will make up for that. The only problem is with school, I won't have as much time around my computers here at home to keep tabs on whether or not they are working correctly. For some reason, the folding client on both the PCs here keeps screwing up and hanging after 80% complete unless you are really careful about not using the computer too much.

7. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

That's too bad, as you can see I don't fold, but I heard from a friend that my school is getting 9 g5's and 4 g4's. I'm not sure it's confirmed yet, I'll be asking my computer teacher next thursday.

8. bertinman thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the support folks.

For some reason the comps I have in the lab don't turn on after power failures... I tried setting it up already.

my trusty Blue and White 350 G3 is chugging alone fine though :)

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Well I am about ready to give up on folding...for the *4th* time, for some reason, when I am about 80-90% complete with a 400 WU I have been working on forever, it just starts over again! I'm seriously ready to pick up that Dell and toss it out the window.

10. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

try a different client

meaining graphical, CLI, SS

whatever will get u through 100%. i think i'd lose hope too if my machines wouldn't go through with a WU.

bert> sorry to see the stats drop. i feel for u-- the blast worm took out my stats for 3 days. next week i'll be hitting up the 2ghz gateways in the lib again.

11. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

I just replied on another thread to explain that

12. bertinman thread starter macrumors 6502

looks like I got a little jolt today. I think maybe a few random P4 machines I did else where that stopped for some reason rebooted into production :D. Also, it's weird, as soon as I complained about the weather it cleared--maybe it will come back, maybe not.

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Cool.

Lets hope we can re-bound.

I'd hate to see 6000 Points continually!

:(