Folding while Powerbook lid is shut

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Capt Underpants, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I was wondering if it's OK to run my Powerbook while folding with the lid shut. It seems like it would be, otherwise Apple wouldn't have made the clamshell feature. Just wanted to make sure...

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

It should be ok, but the fan wolud be runing 24/7....
    Its better to open up the display (you can do it in clamshellmode, teh display won't turn on)

3. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

The fan runs 24/7 while the lid is open and the computer is folding, too. Guess it'll be folding in clamshell mode tonight :)

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Make sure that you have rised the bottom from the table, so air can flow under it. It help to cool a bit. Or buy a cooling pad with a fan (or two) in it. It's better for your Powerbook. Also if your laptop is overheating too much, go into the prefs of the folding app and lower the cpu % that is folding.

5. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Well it automaticlly sleeps after like 30 seconds when the lid is closed. I already have a targus USB laptop coolpad (with 2 fans). My powerbook fan usually cycles on and off every ten minutes or so. Is there a way to get my powerbook to stop going to sleep after 30 seconds with the lid shut.

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Don't think so, it's a protection method for draining the battery and heat issues. The only thing I can think of is to disconnect the button that gives a signal if your laptop is open or closed, but this will definetly void warranty.

7. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

You could wake it up while the lid is closed with an external keyboard

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

OT: what do you think of those fans? I was thinking about getting one since I am now using my 12" PB in clamshell mode with my new 20" LCD.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I can't see how this would different from my doing torrents overnight. Maybe I am missing something.

10. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I think they're the best accessory I have bought for my Powerbook. Without them, my powerbook fan would be on constantly with folding. With them, though, my fan cycles. This is much better for my Powerbook fan's life span. I would recommend this to anyone with a Powerbook. Plus the 12" fits very well on top of the pad, and looks pretty darn good also!

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

This is one of the reasons that I have stuck to my win PC for folding.

12. thecow macrumors 6502

I know that on the Titanium PowerBooks the computer detects if the screen is closed with a little magnet that is behind the screen. When you close the screen, it activates some switch in the PMU board and puts it to sleep so the only way to disable it is to take off the screen and remove the magnet. I guess the AluBooks have something similar.

13. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

That's what I ment. But connecting an external monitor to the laptop and a keyboard would also do the trick, didn't thought about that one!

14. bubbamac macrumors 6502

As others have said, it seems like your PB would get really hot, possibly too hot, doing a processor intensive task with the screen closed. I personally wouldn't do it, even if it were possible. In fact, I don't do SETI@home on my PB precisely because of heat issues - screen open or closed.

Does the screen have to be closed? Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to, when you could just leave it open. The screen can be set to turn off.

15. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I'm a very light sleeper, so it's easier to cover up the power adapter light when the notebook is closed than when it is open. It would only be closed during the night.