Folding with HT P4's

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Capt Underpants, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I know that some of you using hyperthreading P4's to fold, but can't get the F@H program to use 100% of the CPU power. I ran across this sweet program that is supposed to automate the process. It's still in beta, and I haven't tried it myself (mostly because I don't have a HT P4), but it does look promising. It will also install folding@home as a service, where it runs even on the login screen.

I thought I'd post it so that anyone who wants it can get it...

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

just like mc68k's dual script, but then for windows!

3. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Ya i was thinking... If all of the members with HT p4's downloaded it, we would see a decent increase...

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

I have never received a helpful answer to this question. I have an HT P4 running linux kernel 2.6.10 compiled specifically for the processor. Should I run F@H twice, or is linux fully utilizing it?

5. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I'm pretty sure you'll have to run it twice. Compiling the Linux kernel for P4 HT will probably speed things up, but the F@H client still won't be able to take advantage of SMP/HT (unless the Linux client differ from the Win/Mac version).

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Well I tried the script today, and I can't say that I'm that impressed. After 2-3 unsuccessful installs I ended up just setting the service bit from the command line. If anyone has any questions on how to set it up manually PM me and I'll try my best to explain it.