Following links from html-formatted Mail emails

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by anneleonard, Jun 10, 2003.

1. anneleonard macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2003
    Reading, UK (a.k.a. Strongbadia)
    They don't work! I'm finding it incredibly annoying, as I'm trying to unsubscribe myself from lots of mailing lists that I stupidly signed up to (when entering their competitions, generally). I click the link and it turns into the active colour, then nothing happens. What's the problem? I can't see why something so simple is not functionning in one of the key iApps. The most annoying thing is that you can't even control-click it to copy the link location, as if you do that, it selects the whole table/cell/row of the email. :confused: Any ideas? Or reasons why Apple hasn't solved this yet?
  2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Re: Following links from html-formatted Mail emails

It's not just your system, mine does it too. Unfortunately I don't have a solution :(
  3. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2003
    Huntington Beach, CA, USA
    That's really strange. I've never had a problem with clicking on links in Mail. Do you have a Default Web Browser selected in System Prefs -> Internet -> Web ? I would imagine that if you didn't, the OS might not know what to launch when you click the link. Just a guess.
  4. anneleonard thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2003
    Reading, UK (a.k.a. Strongbadia)
    I've got my default browser set as Safari, and that opens fine when I click on a link in a non-html email or a html email that doesn't use tables. Its the table-using-html emails that's the problem for Mail, it seems.
  5. chmorley macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Same thing...

Seems to be a problem. I used to use Entourage and didn't have that problem.

6. FatTony macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    I have the same problem. I usually just get around it by choosing:

View > Show > Plain Text Alternative

in Mail. This gets rid of the html and give you a pain text version of the email. Then you can click on the links.