Following links from html-formatted Mail emails

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by anneleonard, Jun 10, 2003.

1. anneleonard macrumors regular

They don't work! I'm finding it incredibly annoying, as I'm trying to unsubscribe myself from lots of mailing lists that I stupidly signed up to (when entering their competitions, generally). I click the link and it turns into the active colour, then nothing happens. What's the problem? I can't see why something so simple is not functionning in one of the key iApps. The most annoying thing is that you can't even control-click it to copy the link location, as if you do that, it selects the whole table/cell/row of the email. :confused: Any ideas? Or reasons why Apple hasn't solved this yet?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Re: Following links from html-formatted Mail emails

It's not just your system, mine does it too. Unfortunately I don't have a solution :(

3. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

That's really strange. I've never had a problem with clicking on links in Mail. Do you have a Default Web Browser selected in System Prefs -> Internet -> Web ? I would imagine that if you didn't, the OS might not know what to launch when you click the link. Just a guess.

4. anneleonard thread starter macrumors regular

I've got my default browser set as Safari, and that opens fine when I click on a link in a non-html email or a html email that doesn't use tables. Its the table-using-html emails that's the problem for Mail, it seems.

5. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Same thing...

Seems to be a Mail.app problem. I used to use Entourage and didn't have that problem.

Chris

6. FatTony macrumors regular

I have the same problem. I usually just get around it by choosing:

View > Show > Plain Text Alternative

in Mail. This gets rid of the html and give you a pain text version of the email. Then you can click on the links.