Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lexus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
I am considering buying a fon AP (they cost $5!!) and was wondering if anyone uses fon and if so what you think of it and whether it is usefull. I already have a AP and would just get the fon one so I could use their service.

Thanks

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Interesting concept. I'd check my broadband ISP's Terms of Service, before knowingly sharing my broadband though...

Seems like if your exisiting router is compatible, Linksys WRT54G*, you can just download their software...

B

lexus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
balamw said:
Interesting concept. I'd check my broadband ISP's Terms of Service, before knowingly sharing my broadband though...

Seems like if your exisiting router is compatible, Linksys WRT54G*, you can just download their software...

B
So it is illegal?

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
No it's not illegal.There may be some problems with your ISP's terms and conditions but FON are working to sort them out.Most ISP's are interested in the bandwidth you use not who's using it.It may well be in their conditions not to allow sharing but a ton of people do it with no comeback.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Peterkro said:
No it's not illegal.
I agree it's not illegal, but it could cost you your broadband connection.

Broadband ISPs, particularly from the Telcos have explicit "no sharing the pipe, e.g. with your neighbors" clauses in their ToS, and if you start using more bandwidth than you have you may attract attention.

Most ISPs will just drop you as a customer if you violate their ToS and that's that. No legal implication unless the violation was also a criminal act...

That said a lot of smaller ISP's allow or even encourage sharing... http://www.speakeasy.net/netshare/learnmore/

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.