Fondue...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Oct 29, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

So last night I had my first experience with fondue.

We and a good friend (his birthday) and his fiance met at The Melting Pot.

Since it was his birthday, I slipped away from the table and gave the server my credit card and told her to secretly motion me when she had the final bill so I could sign.

I just let Rob and everyone order, we all had a few drinks...

It was yummy stuff, but certainly not gargantuan proportions.

We get done the chocolate fondue and she motions me over to pay the bill.

$225.00 with tip. :eek:

I nearly wet myself.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I hate fondue at a Haagen-Daz (sp?) and didn't end up nearly that broke. :confused:

Did you order the "dripping gold" option or something?

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My God.

I don't suppose that $125 of that was some massive tip....

Still, I guess it's, what, $56.25 per person? I suppose that's not horribly bad, but I'm guessing you paid about, oh $100 a pound for food.

Hopefully the drinks eased the pain.

4. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Maybe I've lived in San Francisco too long, but that doesn't seem outrageous for 4 people having dinner and a "few drinks" each. Under $50 per person before the tip.

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

$75 dollars a person (assuming 3 people from what you said) for cheese and bread? good god...
    there's a Melting Pot somewhat near my house i had been curious about going to but maybe ill reconsider...
    edit: i hate to be picky about spelling but a fiance is a guy; a fiancee is a girl (2 e's).

6. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Well OK...

My friends had eaten already, so Rob and I got "The Big Night Out," which included, for two (and split it with them):

Salad
    Cheese Fondue for two.
    Main entree (shrimp, chicken, lobster, tuna and beef).
    Chocolate fondue at end.

I had two glasses of wine, Rob had two glasses and a martini :rolleyes:, and my friends fiance had a martini and a glass of wine, so that is 7 drinks times about 7 dollars a drink....

Plus 12.00 for the ballons I had them place at the table...

I dunno. I've had four course meals from better restaurants and eaten much more...

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

That's not that bad, all things considered. 4 people + drinks and tip at a nice restaurant.

My wife and I occasionally (read: about once a year) go to the Melting Pot because it's so relaxing and quiet and the food is fantastic. We usually order one of the "value meals" so to speak, where you get the cheese fondue appetizer, the main fondue (a mix of filet, shrimp, ravioli, etc.), and the chocolate fondue desert for one price. It's not cheap, but you pay for the experience.

Besides, if you choose a nice restaurant to bring your friends to, you should expect it to be somewhat expensive. If you didn't want to spend that much, go to Applebee's or something.

8. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I guess I was just surprised. I normally don't (nor have I been in the position for a long time) to pick up the tab. Maybe Rob has me spoiled by picking up tabs a lot of the time. :eek:

It was a nice meal, no complaints there.

At least I can wirte it off because the friend works for me part time. :p

9. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

OMG! I'd go to The Melting Pot just for the Chocolate Fondue!!!! omg, its heaven! In the end, its probably easier just to make it at home. :)

I love fundue, and for people that are just saying that $225 just for cheese and bread, not true. Cheese and Bread is like an starter. For the main course, they bring out a special mixer of oils and stuff and you can fry shirmp, steak, veggies, etc... mmmmm, so good. After that you get a dessert fondue like Chocolate and other things and chesse cake, strawberrys, other fruits, etc. :D

Restruants are really expensive now. I mean at this resturant thats not very nice at all- $20 for a steak salad. :eek: Or the local cafe, $17 for Pancakes!

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ok, now it seems a bit more reasonable, although still unreasonable at the same time.

I was under the impression that you paid $225 for dessert and some drinks, as I have never had fondue that didn't involve warm, liquid chocolate and fruits. :p

Abstract = not poor, but definitely not a rich student.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think it was very misleading not to mention the balloons in the first place. Now it seems more reasonable. ;)

Still a lot for fondue, but I've never been to/heard of that chain.

I do likes me the fondue, though, so I should try to find one.

12. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I'm not rich, either, but it was a surprise.

Problem is, I have to one up that for Rob's birthday or he'll get jealous!
    :eek:

*goes back to fixing pictures*

*must make money* :p

13. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I tried to resist the urge to answer, I swear :)

A real fondue ain't just "cheese and bread". Though it tectnically is just that, it ain't your common cheddar, jack or whatever cheapo plastic cheese in there. A real cheese fondue is 1/3 emmental, 1/3 beaufort and 1/3 gruyère + wine and various condiments. Beaufort cheese runs about 30€ a kilo in France (where it's made) and the other cheese doesn't come cheap either.

I realize iGary may not have got premium French cheese, but I sure hope he got more that just "cheese" considering the price. So iGary, what was the cheese mix and was it good? :)

14. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Looks like there isn't one in MA yet, ones coming to Boston though:

http://www.meltingpot.com/libertytownshipma/home.html

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

16. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

OK.

Starter - Caesar salads for Rob and I. Quality: Meh.

Cheese - Wisconsin Cheddar, Blue and sherry mixed together with a little peppper. Bread, apples and melon served with. Quality: Yum.

Dinner - Broth and wine cooking medium with lobster tail, tuna, shrimp, beef, chicken and potstickers. (For those who are not familiar, a pot of boiling broth is on the table and you plunk in the raw pieces of meat and cook them in the broth, then eat). Quality: Yum.

Dessert: White and milk chocolate with brownie chunls, pineapple, strawberries, cheesecake. Quality: Meh.

I'd reccomend it to anyone. It was good, but I'd rather spend that at Charthouse on Rob and I - mind you, we ordered one (1) four-course foundue for two with drinks and split everything to eat.

$225.00

That's just a bit pricey, IMHO.

I could have had a bottle or two of wine, appetizer for two and a big honkin Lobster at Chart House for the same amount.

17. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

My favorite fondue is half gruyere, half vacherin (the Swiss kind, very hard to find in the US :( ). I have tried to substitute emmentaler for the vacherin, but wasn't too impressed... had better results with raclette or jarlsberg, which are not as bland. I shall give beaufort a try next time...

ok, back to our regular program ;)

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Everything else sounds good, but this sounds very........simple. You're just cooking meat in boiling broth.

But again........dessert fondue with liquid chocolate = :eek: :eek: :eek:

19. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Hi are you valesian?

Why is this turning into a iGary must be wrong thread, he tried to make a point.

20. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I don't think it did. It (partly) turned into a fondue!=cheese+bread thread :p

And after iGary's last post (#16) I believe he is quite right in finding $225 a bit steep.

21. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I am, although displaced to California... still go back to ski (and eat cheese) every year :p

Carpe Diem, do you frequent 'Les bains de saillons' ? ;)

To get back to the thread: I ate at the 'Matterhorn', a fondue place in San Francisco, a couple of times and had a similar steep bill... fondue is definitely cheaper to eat at home. Easy to prepare, very social...cleaning up the pots can be a bit nasty, though, especially when you are hung over the next morning, but it is worth it :D

22. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

My uncle was on business trip in Germany, where he took 2 clients (3 in total)to a restaurant. The bill totalled a whopping 300 euros. Compare that to Portugal where we went to a similar restaurant and feed 6 people for just 200 euros. My uncle also wet himself in Germany.

23. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

The best (and possibly traditional?) way to clean up the pot is to crack 1 or 2 eggs in the pot when it's almost empty and have a yummy cheesy omelette type thingy. :)

And agreed, the cheapest fondues are - obviously, made at home. However it must be quite difficult for non-Europeans to get the basic ingredients...

24. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    We have hershey bars and velveeta here. What else do you need. Well I guess wonder bread :)

When we fondued back when I was a kid it was with meat and a pot of hot oil. yum

25. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Ooops :eek:
    Please insert word "cheese" where appropriate in post #23 :p

Meat fondues are yummy too :D :D