Font Book security warning

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 3, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

This doesn't seem like much of a security issue.

"Oh crap, my Font Book crashed... guess I'll just restart it"... oh these tricky hackers fooled me. :rolleyes:

3. macrumors 68040

mduser63

I was going to write the same thing. I'd call this a bug, but not necessarily a security problem. After all, I'm sure there are other programs that can be made to crash by giving them malformed input. You can make the jump (as they've done here) to a security problem by just saying "A remote attacker can create a specially formulated document which causes the application to crash." Doesn't seem particularly worrisome to me.

4. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If it has no chance of becoming widespread, it's not a virus.

5. Lau

Yeah, I know. "Oh, Font Book crashed/froze/generally doesn't work. What a strange, unusual occurrence that is. Must be a security flaw...." :rolleyes:

The day my Font Book works properly, that's when I'll think something's up. ;)

6. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Good call. :D

So I'm not the only one then...

7. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

So the denial of service is the inability to use a bogus file? The type foundries must be cackling with glee over the possibilities for mischief.

8. macrumors newbie

Font Book Problems

After loading some free fonts I started getting a warning while using Microsoft Word and Excel that a font was corrupt, it would go through the whole list, so I have to disable all of the fonts in Font Book in order to use MS Word & Excel. And then Enable them when I use Adobe programs. Do you think it's a virus? Any ideas on how to solve this problem?