Font issues.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by jelwell, Nov 3, 2003.

1. jelwell macrumors member

I don't know when it starts, but I'll be running my powerbook with Panther on it for a while and eventually my fonts will go screwy. In particular the spacing between letters will start to be off. It'll be especially noticeable when I highlight text. Sometimes the text I've highlighted will only mostly be selected. And almost always once this starts a huge spacer gap will appear between selected text and text next to it that's not selected.

If I reboot it'll stop, for a long while. I just rebooted again recently so it's not happening now, or I'd post a screenshot. I don't think I've modified my default font for Safari or my operating system.

Has anyone else heard/seen this?
    joe.

2. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Have opened Fontbook and resolved duplicate fonts?
    (fonts displayed with a little black dot next to the name have duplicates)

3. jelwell thread starter macrumors member

Ok, So I'm selecting "Resolve Duplicates" on the fonts that have dots and that seems to be removing the duplicates.

However some fonts that have dots when I select "Resolve Duplicates" on some of the fonts and I get:

"Are you sure you want to disable the selected fonts? If you do, these fonts will not appear in the collections 'All Font' in the Font panel."

so I hit cancel. Hopefully resolving duplicates will solve my problem.
    joe.

4. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

I found that I had to repeat the resolve process several times with some fonts.
    (presumably because I had TT, PS and dfont variatons of the same font, or something to that effect)

5. jelwell thread starter macrumors member

I haven't noticed the problem in a while. So hopefully this worked.

Although the following fonts can resolve duplicates without giving that warning message I mentioned above:

Courier
    Geneva
    Helvetica
    Monaco
    Symbol
    Times

I'm a little apprehensive about hitting OK on that dialog. So I think I'll wait to see if the problem starts up again.
    joe.

6. jelwell thread starter macrumors member

Font issues resurface.

I noticed it happening again. In the screenshot there's a URL "http://www.contourdesign.com/shuttlepro/"

I've highlighted from "esgin..." on. Notice there looks like there is a space between "...countroud" and "esign...". But there is no space there! Highlighting has added a large blank area. Note also at the end of the line, it looks like I've highlighted a space character after "shuttlepro/" but again, there is no space there. Highlighting has caused problems.

What's worse, if I put my cursor at the end of the line, there's that blank area after "shuttlepro/" again, so large that it appears I can hit delete and safely delete a space character, but instead the "/" is deleted!

Help!
    joe.

Attached Files:

7. Perceptes macrumors member

Perceptes

I've been having the problem that's described in the above post with the screenshot since I installed Panther. It happens in any text box in Safari. It's really annoying so I am hoping someone knows how to get rid of it, or at least knows that it is a bug Apple is aware of.