Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Hi! I'm almost only working with InDesign at the moment under 10.4.3 but have some older QuarkXPress 4 documents that I want to open in Quark 4 under Classic Environment. Is it possible to manage fonts for OsX with LinotypeFontExplorerX (which I'm currently using) and fonts for Classic with Adobe Type Manager or is this a bad idea because it could cause system crashes or something like that?

Big thanks in advance for any kind of help/ideas.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Do you have many fonts to manage in Classic for these docs? Is this an ongoing process or are you just accessing them briefly?

Personally, I would try to avoid ATM Deluxe in Classic. You will need ATM anyway for screen draw... And if I didn't need that many fonts or auto-activation, would tend to use Fontbook for fonts in Classic. :eek:

It's been a while since I've used Classic for Quark 5.

However, you could give it a try. I can't see it causing major conflicts that would be undoable.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Thanks for your reply Blue Velvet, every time I come up with some design question you are among the first ones to come up with an answer. And I've got the impression you really know what you are talking about!

The font book is worth a try, I'm only concerned because I recently heard a type management lecture and the guy told us that using different font management tools on one computer causes troubles. But maybe this isn't the case when one tool is used for classic and the other one for OsX.

There won't be too many fonts necessary but it's sort of an ongoing process.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
chaosbunny said:
...I've got the impression you really know what you are talking about!

Hah!

I didn't just lay out the 'The Bluffer's Guide to Graphic Design', I wrote the damned thing as well. :D

Thanks though...

The only reason I suggest Font Book is that it can enable fonts for Classic.
I use Suitcase X at home and at work and it can enable and activate fonts for Classic apps, but I'm not sure whether Linotype's FontExplorer can. It might be worth searching the documentation that comes with it for any mention of Classic before trying other things.

Of course, one of the drawbacks of FontBook is that it is slow, clumsy and doesn't feature font-activation but for the occasional job it would be OK.

CowtownCubs

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2006
To Bue Velvet

Hey Blue Velvet I was wondering if you possibly knew the font that they use on the DVD of blue velvet, I figure if anyone knows its gotta be you. Thanks again!

-Nick

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
CowtownCubs said:
Hey Blue Velvet I was wondering if you possibly knew the font that they use on the DVD of blue velvet, I figure if anyone knows its gotta be you. Thanks again!

Nope. It could be any one of thousands of scripts or it could be a custom bit of type.

Post an image here at typophile forums, see what they say.
http://typophile.com/forum/29

I'm getting a little rusty on type-identifying outside of well-known families. Been spending the last five years using restricted corporate sets.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
Font Agent Pro would also be an option, as it activates fonts in both the Classic and OSX environment. The only drawback - it costs. Not too much, if I recall correctly, but still, it's more than Apples version.

Personally, I like Font Agent Pro. The new version runs smoothly and I am able to jump into Classic for random documents and fonts are rarely a problem. The auto-activation in OSX also works smoothly, even in Photoshop!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.