Font Management

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Halcyon, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2006
    Hope I'm posting this in the right section...

To manage my fonts I'm using FontExplorer X instead of Apple's FontBook. My question is: Is it possible to totally desactivate FontBook? Can it be uninstalled and if so, what will happen with the necessary system and application fonts by default? Instead of uninstalling it wouldn't it be more appropiate to just desactivate all the fonts and/or sets it manages?

I have visually been comparing what fonts both applications manage and it seems they mimic each other, except for those fonts that where specifically added within one program or another.

I'm a graphic designer and have tons of fonts installed in my iMac, so before I cruise around experimenting and maybe creating havoc while at it, I would appreciate it if somebody steer me in the right direction :)

Best regards.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
  3. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    Why do you need to "deactivate" FontBook? it's not going to conflict with FontExplorer AFAIK. I use the later on my machine, I've never opened FontBook, no problems. I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to activate/deactiveate fonts with both at the same time, but you're not going to do that are you? ;)

I think ideally, you'd use FEX to manage /all/ fonts that aren't system fonts, that way the only fonts you see in FB are the system ones that you don't want to disable.
  4. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2006
    ...and you seem to be right. I should have done some further testing before posting. Experimenting some I found that either application will recognize which fonts the other one activates or desactivates. It's a little trickier with system fonts as some of them seem to be locked and can only be activated or desactived within FontBook and not using FontExplorer.

When I checked the link that anyRiggs provided, this screen shot caught my attention (see below)

It seems to be avery convenient way to find a particular font using one single letter...but I can't get to this window within FontBook!!! Any help here?

Attached Files: