Font Problem - How Do You Change Back??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Invizzible, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Invizzible macrumors regular

Recently I installed some new fonts which are all working perfectly (I'm using OS X 10.3.4). Getting them into the Font Book was a breeze, and they work in all my applications. Problem is, now when I go to a site like Google, most of the text that comes up after doing a search is in some goofy font. I don't know what button I may have accidently hit to cause this. It is also effecting advertisement emails. Same goofy font for any text that is left open to interpretation by my system (I'm assuming that's what's happening anyway). I don't even know the name of the goofy font, but it's definitely not the one that these applications previously defaulted to. I've looked in System Preferences, all of the Finder menu items, and the Font Book, but I can't find a setting for this. Anyone know how I can set it back to the previous [or just an easier to read] font?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You might want to go into Safari->Preferences...->Appearance and verify the fonts it uses by default.

3. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

yeah, Safari's prefs would be my thought, also.

if you can't find it, post a screenshot, one of us will be able to at least identify the font and you can delete it. also, if you can get the font LARGE enough, this is a cool website:
    http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

it will do a pretty good job identifying typefaces, but they have to be large enough for it to see all the curves of a typeface.

but i (and other designers here) can identify a bunch of fonts by site, so post a screenshot...

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Cool website! Nice concept. Also, it led me to some interesting fonts. I haven't actually purchased any fonts - ever - as I don't really need them, but now, seeing some of the cool selections, I might have to!

5. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Here's a screenshot:

[One other thing - Far as I can see, Grab only takes .tiff screenshots, and Macrumors doesn't accept that format. I had to convert in Photoshop, which was slightly awkward. Anyone know if there's a way to Grab a .jpg?

Attached Files:

6. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, BTW, in Safari's Preferences it has Times New Roman 16 in the Standard Font field, and Courier 13 in the Fixed-width font field. So, I'm thinking the comic book looking font that I'm getting now is not an application preference but an OS setting.

7. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

hey, good to hear! did the Safari prefs thing pan out or do you still have wacky fonts?

being a graphic designer, typefaces (fonts) are my life. it's really bad if you get more than one of us together in one place, you'll see us starting to inspect fonts on menus, billboards, etc. oh, and naming them. that always impresses the women. ;)

fonts can get expensive quickly, so pick and choose a few cool ones that you'll use a lot. but, fonts are kind of like cars, the sexy ones are usually pricier. it's always good to support type designers, that stuff can take a LOT of time (for a well designed type). [illegal!]BUT, if you want to search newsgroups, you'll oftentimes find some large type collections posted.[/illegal!]

here's an introduction to cool type:
    http://www.psyops.com/html/specimens.html
    http://www.garagefonts.com/
    http://houseind.com/house.php

8. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

OK, one more thing to try w/in Safari. check the "advanced" tab and see if there's a stylesheet specified. if so, kill it.

i have no idea what that crappy typeface is. it obviously has no bold version, b/c the bolded text displays properly.

the only other thing i can think of is to replace your Helvetica font. that looks to be the font that it's replacing.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Use the standard desktop snapshots - Shift-⌘-3 fpr the whole screen, or Shift-⌘-4 to select an area. This places a snapshot in .pdf format on your desktop. Open it with Preview (the default app), crop it if necessary (⌘-K), and Export it into JPEG format.

Or get the excellent SnapZ Pro X, which works amazingly well!

10. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, in my Safari>Preferences>Advanced I see that the Style Sheet field is "None Selected". But this problem is not just with Safari. It's also in the body of some emails (but not all -- weird).

I just copied the offending font (from an email) and pasted it into a text file via TextEdit. Then I opened up the fonts from the top menu bar (under Format) and saw that "Arial" was selected. Obviously, that's not the Arial font that we're seeing. So I opened up Font Book and twirled down the little sideways triangle for "Arial" and I found doubles of everything (Bold, Italic, etc...) and TRIPLE of "Regular". Sure enough, the first Regular is that wacky font. When I place the mouse arrow over it, the little yellow info window pops open and says it's "bradybun.ttf". Any ideas on how this happened? I'm thinking when I installed the new fonts, I accidently dragged one of them onto Arial. Would that cause this??? I guess I'll have to delete "Arial", since I can't seem to get rid of just the bad "Regular". Anyway, here's the screenshot of the strange occurance in my Font book. [oh, I tried making the screenshot as jsw suggested, but when I tried to export out of Preview, nothing happened.. no window, no jpeg, nothing].

11. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm...that's weird. Image of Font Book didn't attach. I'll try again:

Attached Files:

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Odd. Note that Preview might (and likely will) default to a folder other than your desktop when it brings up the Export dialog - are you sure it didn't save it elsewhere?

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you PM me with an email address,I can send you the Arial font. Shouldn't be any big deal, as it's included on all Macs. It's ~300K in size.

14. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

The strange thing with exporting from Preview is that the Export dialog box never opened. But I just tried it again, and this time it opens and the export works fine. Thanks for telling me about the screenshot shortcut! I didn't know that one, and it's much more convenient than Grab.

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No problem! Although there are times when Grab works better, the screenshot shortcuts work fine the vast majority of the time.

If you've got the cash, SnapZ Pro is even better. For one thing, it saves as JPEG, so no messy conversion.

16. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Problem is solved. In case anyone's wondering, I finally found the offending bradybun.ttf font file inside my users>library>fonts folder (strange though, it never showed up in the font book and never showed up in my main Library>Fonts folder). So I threw it out and now my default browser and email fonts are back to normal. Thanks everyone for all the help!

17. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

DAMN BRADY BUNCH!

i'll bet it was that bratty little cindy brady that did it...

good to hear. hey, we all learned a couple things along the way. at one point i thought there may have been some janky font-virus deal where it would install junky fonts over the top of default fonts (such as arial), but i couldn't find anything on google (except a font named Virus).