Font Problems = hanging!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattbatt, Feb 26, 2007.

1. mattbatt macrumors member

One of my jobs, as a graphic designer, is working at a print shop. We handle many fonts and have thousands on the hard drive, but around 550 families actually installed in font book. I'm running a G4, 800 mhz, on 10.3.9 and have run into this issue when loading new fonts (it took me a while to isolate the problem, but I have):

the computer would boot slowly, hang when loading a Safari page, hang when opening disk permissions and Activity Monitor. It was frustrating because I'd want to run disk permissions, but it would hang and was impossible. I finally, figured it out: I have to launch Font Book first, leave it open, and everything runs smoothly (minus the long boot time).

I know it is a bad font in there, but I have no idea which (and I have gone through and turned off all duplicate fonts). What do I do, instead of the work around and leave Font Book open the entire time? I use 10.4 at home and love the fact I can check for bad fonts, but for 10.3 is there a font app that can manage thousands of fonts accurately?

I went through the forums so far, and saw some people were using FontExplorer. Is this good?

Thanks guys!!

2. mattbatt thread starter macrumors member

no one?!?! I'm sure more of you have had font problems especially under 10.3!

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I think you answered you own question. :) You need better Font Management software. I've been using FontExplorer X for a while. I guess the current version is compatible with 10.3.x. If you have the time to get it installed and running, there's no harm done if you don't like it since it's free.

4. GITANAJAVA macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

I don't disagree with the suggestion for better font management software (I'm always on the hunt for better-than-what-I-have), but you might also double-check your FB preferences for whether or not you opted to validate fonts you want to install and where you are installing the fonts (under user or computer?). Since acquiring my PB G4 with Tiger, I have triple the number of fonts installed, load everything to Computer rather than User, and validate all fonts. I haven't experienced any problems with font loading/use/or management. Before, when I ran my iBook G4 with 10.3.9, FB crashed routinely, hung, jumbled and did all manner of quirky tricks.

5. mattbatt thread starter macrumors member

Hey thanks guys for replying. I guess I was wondering about a quick fix, but the better fix would be to upgrade to Tiger, get a font manager and in the meantime, tell the shop to deal with it!

While Font Explorer is a manager, which software is good for font doctoring? Since many clients give us their fonts, corruption will eventually happen.

6. GITANAJAVA macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Recommend you ask the pros in Special Interests > Design & Graphics, that's a question worthy of their expertise. It may take a day or two to get an answer from them, but the mates who cruise through that particular MacRumors forum are top notch :cool: