Font problems!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kirk, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Kirk macrumors regular

Kirk

My eMac is not performing like it should (and used to) at the time. Things are slow, programs crash etc. I think it is probably font related. I actually threw away Suitcase and tried to use Fontbook instead. I even think I may have thrown away some System fonts. :eek:

So my questions are:
    – Is there any way to install the default fonts again, without reinstalling OS X?

– Can I use a program to check (and maybe fix) my fonts? (That actually works..?)

– How does Fontbook and/or Suitcase work for you, and are there better ways to manage fonts in OS X?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Suitcase is far superior to Fontbook in its current form but not perfect. It depends on what version you're running...

Fontbook moves fonts from folder to folder to activate/deactivate them.

If you have the install CD for Suitcase put it back on, it also includes FontDoctor which may help in the diagnosis & repair of fonts.

You may be able to find the fonts on the install disks but I can't say any further than that... sorry. You could run the installation up to a point just to see what options come up or do an archive & install...

BTW: There's been a rash of people around here messing with system & installed fonts: when in doubt don't touch them – they take up barely any space.

3. Kirk thread starter macrumors regular

Kirk

Good point . . ! I tend to do stupid things when stuff don’t work . . . Haven’t smashed the screen yet though!

I used Suitcase 8 back in the Classic days, and that always worked great, so I got Suitcase X1, but it just kept crashing. And then I removed it . . .

I tried FontDoctor but that just seemed to make things worse.

4. iGav macrumors G3

Reinstall your OS... Suitcase shouldn't keep crashing (makesure you've got the latest version, earlier X1's would crash if you had iffy fonts for example).

From experience when I've had app's that crash for no reason, I find it quicker and easier just to reinstall the OS than trying to troubleshoot the problem, it's inconvenient but usually solves the problem.

5. Kirk thread starter macrumors regular

Kirk

My Mac is back!

My Mac has been incredible slow for some time, because of all these font problems, but not it is faster then it ever was! And (hopefully . . .) my font problems seem to be solved as well!

Suitcase did not work well for me, so I tried Font Agent (http://www.insidersoftware.com/) and together with this article:
    http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/20000.html life has gotten a lot better!

(Knock on wood . . .)

:D :D :D