Font transfer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by baummer, Nov 22, 2006.

1. baummer macrumors 6502a

I have a somewhat difficult problem. I purchased some font online and accidentally deleted the original email that included the attachment with the zipped font files, and I deleted the original downloaded zip files. I have already installed the fonts, but am getting a new iMac today and would like to transfer those fonts, and others like it. However, tests from my Mini to my iBook have failed; they do not transfer. Am I doing something wrong?

The company I purchased the fonts from said they cannot give me the source files because I do not have my original order # and refuse to search their order database by my email, and I, being the fool, neglected to create a user account with said company. Any ideas on how to do this? These fonts are vital to my business and were not cheap; I do not wish to have to purchase them again if I can help it.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Have you looked for the files in all the different (possible) font places...?

When you installed it, did you install it for all users, ie in /Library/Fonts/, or for just your user, ~/Library/Fonts/, or maybe for the system, /System/Library/Fonts/. (I assume you didn't install them for OS 9/Classic, right?).

Just look in (all) those font folders and drag the font files over to you new machine and drop them on Font Book (or install n some other way if you prefer that).

~/Library/ is the one in your home folder, ie /Users/yourname/Library/

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

As one who buys fonts online: always keep the zips, they're so tiny! ;)

So, were they TrueType fonts, PostScript or Opentype?

If PostScript, you'll need to copy over the two files that make up the font: the font suitcase and the outlines file. With TrueType there should be just the one.

4. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

they should transfer if you use Migration Assistant with your new machine.

if you are working with an Exchange Server, the message you deleted is likely still cached somewhere. If not, you might ask your ISP for help.

in my case, my home email is also available via the web through my provider's website. Though it is the same email account, it is unaffected by anything I do at home, so if I were to accidentally delete an email here, I could just log on to the website and go get it there. Is this an option for you?

5. baummer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies all; the Migration Assistant did the trick!

6. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

what you might want to do now is make an image copy of your new drive...beats re-installation.

cheers :)

7. GITANAJAVA macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

I'm just contemplating here....wondering what I'd do if I found myself in a similar situation. How did you pay for the fonts? Wouldn't your credit card company or bank (or whatever) have some detailed record of the transaction that you could access with proper identification? Darn, now you've worried me! :confused: