Fontbook Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stillblue, Dec 5, 2006.

1. stillblue macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2006
    Sometimes when I try to add fonts to Fontbook, they don't take. This happens with about 30% of the fonts I try to install. It doesn't even open an install box. Yet when I go onto my other Mac to install the same font, there's no problem. I've tried dragging the font off the cd and onto the hard drive to install it and still nothing. Any ideas what I can do?
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Try this instead of Font Book, it's 40% less evil. If there is a problem with the font, it may (*gasp*) even tell you why!
  3. stillblue thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2006
    I would love to, but I have to follow the rules of the IT department. I can ask for font software, but that will be at least a week of waiting and I need to fix this problem asap. Any other ideas?
  4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Are you trying to install the fonts into your own font directory (under home)? If so, there shouldn't be any access issues. Apart from that, does Font Book tell you anything at all if you try to check that the file is valid?
  5. stillblue thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2006
    This is where my newbieness comes in. Check that the file is valid? How do you do that? I just double click on the font to install it. But nothing comes up (no box with an install button). When I go into Font Book, the font isn't listed. If I try to double click on it again, I have the same problem. I'm installing this on my own computer... on whatever the default place Font Book would install it.
  6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003

Instead of double-clicking the font file, try going from inside Font Book. Launch it, then pick Validate file… from the File menu. This should simply verify that the font file is intact.

If that goes okay, try File->Add Fonts… to open the same font file, and see what happens.

[ To rule out one possible set of problems, if the above doesn't help, you may want to see this thread. If you don't have the permissions to add software, you also may need someone from your IT group to try this, but at least there are no product approvals involved! ]
  7. stillblue thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2006

Opening from Font Book actually installed a couple of fonts that I couldn't install, but there are still some I can't install (Like Helvetica Neue). I don't have the option to Validate the file. Is that only available in newer versions? Following the directions on that link didn't seem to change anything.
  8. frankpapandrea macrumors newbie

Apr 28, 2009
    font rejection

have validated fonts and they are good, but when I ask for them to be installed, they are not. Any ideas?
  9. kitesurfjerry macrumors newbie

Dec 31, 2009
    Problems with fonts

The other day I was looking into "Font" and notice I had a few duplicates so I removed them. Now I have a few applications that don't work, like Zino (Magazine reader) it unexpectedly quits. So I contact Zino and they ask me to send them the first part of the report that generates an application when it unexpectedly quits. And they notice I had no Arial font activated. The problem is that I do have the Arial font in my "Font Book" application but I guess is the duplicate Arial font that the application is looking for. My question is how can I get this duplicate fonts back?

Blue skies and happy new year!
  10. MissMacB macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2010
    Lost all fonts in fontbook

I followed the directions below to clean up my fontbook, and lost everything. Now what do I do?? Can someone help me before my ulcers flare?

Please read this entire procedure before use. Perform the following steps in the order specified:
    1. Quit (Command-Q) Font Book if it is open.
    2. Trash the fb.db file in your Home > Library > Application Support > Font Book folder.
    Note: the fb.db file contains all information concerning both disabled fonts and font libraries you have created. Deleting this file will result in enabling all disabled fonts and the loss of any font libraries you have created. Note that font libraries are not font collections. Font collections that you create are saved in your Home > Library > Font Collections folder.
    3. Trash the file in your Home > Library > Preferences folder. This file contains are your preferences for Font Book.
    4. Empty the Trash.
    5. Open Font Book.
    6. Choose Font Book > Preferences and reset Font Book preferences as desired.