fonts in menu bar

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Hackcomic.com, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Hackcomic.com macrumors regular

I can't figure out how to change the fonts in the menu bar- is it possible to do?

2. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

after about an hour of research myself, the bottom line- you can't. You can change the size, but as far as the display font itself, no way.

Which kinda sucks because I know you can do it in OS 9

Anybody else out there know something different?

3. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

well, I came accross this site:

http://www.adeptscience.co.uk/kb/category/Bibliography/EndNote/product=(EndNote)/1,41,10

And remembered a little utility I have call "Res Edit" If you have balls make a copy of the finder and open it in Res Edit and search aorund until you find the "font string" and see if you can change it. I used this app to play around with the apps I use at work by changing the cursers and error messages etc. maybe you can hack into it that way, or is it something the "terminal" can handle?
    and now I will quote Mac Addict, April 2002 page 26; "Hacking resources.. check out MAC OS X hints (www.macosxhints.com) These folks have done a great job compiling hacks and obscure information about MAC OS X. ........."

and

ResExcellence (www.resexcellence.com) ".....recently ResExcellence has begun to cover Mac OS X hacks as well, making this site a definite must-visit for all hackers"

4. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Mac OS X uses the Lucida Grande font for pretty much everything, and I don't think it can be changed without third party applications (see Dale Sorel's post if you want to use haxies).

ResEdit was extremely useful 10 years ago, but it hasn't been updated since. It is pretty much obsolete now with OS X. The reason: ResEdit displays the resource fork of files. In Mac OS X, files generally no longer have resource forks. The equivalent for applications (including Finder) can be navigated in Finder. Control click on the application and choose 'Show Package Contents'. I still use ResEdit for classic applications though.

5. Hackcomic.com thread starter macrumors regular

So OS 9 lets you personalize the finder but OS X doesnt. Nice upgrade. That seems rather dumb. Yes, I know there are tons of things it does that 9 didn't - but I have always loved Mac because of the fact you could personlize everything on it.

6. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Thanks for that update Hex, shows how far out of date I am. As the day grows nearer to me updating my work G3s to Panther I am always trying to get an advantage as to whats going on with the OS. Any and all info is appreciated.
    I'll remember that about ResEdit.
    Sparky