Font's not as sharp as Windows XP and how to fix.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by keysorsoze, May 17, 2005.

1. keysorsoze macrumors newbie

Hi! I am a new mac user and I just got a mac mini with tiger installed. I am having a problem with changing the fonts in OSX. How do I go about changing the system fonts and browser fonts so that they more replicate the sharpness of Windows Fonts. I seem to have crisper fonts on my Windows XP box than the mac mini and would like to emulate the windows fonts on the Mac.

Thanks for the help

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Mac OS X fonts are antialiased. It's easier on the eyes. Give it some time for your eyes to adjust.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I agree with Lacero but if you really can't stand it, fiddle around in the System Preferences in the Appearance section and the smoothing of fonts section. That might help...

4. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

Been using Wintel PCs for 20 years. I just got my first Mac last week. I think the fonts displayed from the Mac on this 20" ACD is better than anything that I have ever seen before. I can sit here all day and night and my eyes are not tired.

If I do the same thing on the Wintel box, I am very tired about halfway through the day.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Enjoy.

Attached Files:

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

OT: What's up with this username (keysorsoze)? We have four members with similar names. Is this something known?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

8. Kushiro macrumors member

The Usual Suspects, perhaps?

9. Everett macrumors newbie

The correct spelling would be Keyser Söze. He is a mysterious and legendary criminal who makes his presence felt in The Usual Suspects. Telling anything more would be a spoiler.

10. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

I think what he's(?) referring to is the XP Clear Type. It's AA for fonts that's takes advantage of the subpixels on LCDs to further improve the AA. I believe OSX does something similar, but with my eyes, the XP implementation is much crisper, no visible jaggies, very easy to read. Even after finding the best choice in the OSX System Preferences, I still feel like I'm looking at a circa-windows 95 box in terms of the fonts, too fuzzy.

11. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

too fuzzy? windows fonts better? where are you from :p
    I honestly think text is one of OS X's best features, I've never seen a linux or windows system with text as easy on the eyes

12. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

OMG. I have NEVER heard of anyone complain about ati-aliased type in OS X compared to Windows jaggy, horribly rendered type. Definitely a first.

13. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I have heard this. I suspect you haven't seen a really good Windows system -- I know I haven't.

But I'm pretty sure this is correct--windows antialiasing, when done right, is superior.

14. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I agree. When I came over to OS X a couple of years ago, I felt that the screen fonts alone were worth the price of admission. Given all the varied responses above, I guess it's a matter of personal preference - and what you are used to.

15. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

It took me a few weeks to get used to the fonts when I switched. Initially, they looked blurry to me compared to windows. Now, when I work on a windows machine, the fonts look extremely harsh and jagged. You'll get used to the "softer" Mac fonts and find that they are much easier on they eyes.

16. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

I spend all day at work looking at windows 2003 with cleartype, and when i go home and use my powerbook it feels like my eyes are getting a rest.

I've also noticed that you can crank the screen res on a CRT up higher in OS X than in windows. I have the same crt at home as work, at home i run it at 1600x1200, at work I can not stand it being any higher than 1280x1024.

Just my 2 cents