Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluepigster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Awhile ago I realised some of my fonts were magically missing from my microsoft word. I tried to re-install the fonts, but encountered problems with some, specifically Gotham. My system can't even read the font file, it appears weird (http://imgur.com/PK5pU) but it still can install.

Word can't read this, which is weird because I've successfully installed it before till now. Other fonts that disappeared work fine (i think) and the fonts work in TextEdit fine.

I have tried clearing font caches with FontDoctor and cleared the Word font cache file as well. Mac still displays everything weird upon installation, but TextEdit displays everything fine.

Help is appreciated, thanks.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Your screen capture of Font Book shows that at least some of the characters are displaying properly. Therefore, your screen capture does not show the problem. It might be much more useful is to give a link to the actual font file. This way, we can test the font to try to replicate your problem and then to remedy it.

bluepigster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Its not the font file. I managed to install it successfully before, and I even unzipped the fonts again from the original package just to be sure. Uninstalled and installed, no luck.

mdel23

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
I guess no one has found a solution.
I originally thought it was a problem with suitcase 4 which I had just bought for my new mac. After contacting them it turns out it is a problem with the font and possibly how os10.8 identifies fonts, which explains why it used to work fine.
From Extensis:
"Basically, the problem is down to bad font design and will require the foundry, in this case Hoefler & Frere Jones to fix or you can check if they have an updated version of the Gotham Family."
"The root cause of the problem is that the foundry did not apply the appropriate menu names to each font within the Gotham family. The menu name is what we use and other application use to display the font names in their menus. "

Having only recently bought this font so far I haven't had much use out of it. I ended up using a different font for the job I bought it for.

The foundry Hoefler & Frere Jones have yet to respond to me.

Will let you know if and when they do.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I don't know why I dropped this thread after you posted the zipped archive of the sixteen Gotham fonts. At any rate, I just tested the family under OS X 10.8. Every single Gotham font displays perfectly. Perhaps, there is an issue with Extensis Suitcase Fusion 4. I can't test that because I don't own a license. The takeaway message is that the most likely reason that no one found a problem is that there is no problem. Test the Gotham a different user account.

mdel23

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Just heard back from the font foundry Hoefler & Frere Jones that made Gotham.
It turns out I got an old version that wasn't meant to be released. Which is odd as I downloaded it from their website a couple of weeks ago. Anyway they sent me the new font and all is well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.