Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BrandonSi, Nov 1, 2005.

1. BrandonSi macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    First real switching issue I've run accross here, and I haven't been able to find much by searching.

Can I use my old true-type font library from my XP PC? I had quite a collection.
    If not, what kind of fonts should I be looking for. Most of this is for photoshop, not document layout. I looked under system prefs, is there a font manager in OS X?

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    In short, you don't have to convert every TTF. Actualy, OSX seems to be pretty good at importing fonts. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

The last update seemd to fix problems with font importing. There are companies like Font Lab that make font converters. I am just lerning the basics of makeing fonts, and there is a lot too it. I have having problems creating good Mac suitcases, but I digress. (Font Lab's server seems to be down.) They have an application that will convert between font formats, OpenType, TT, PS, etc... Font labs entry converter is Trans Type; it costs ~$100 US. and ther is a limited demo for use.

Click here for a set of free tools[/URL] (mostly Classic os9). Note that some of the Mac fonts on this site are croupt- or at least don't work well under OSX.

If you paid for an extensive font collection, and don't want to loose them, then I would look for a pay converter. If you want to try to import the fonts directly, it should be possible with out a conversion program, but I don't think all TT fonts will import well. Try it. If you notice some system problems, just uninstall the offensive fonts.