Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
My home macs have about 115 on each computer (same fonts) at work we have about 3000 on our font library with access to the Linotype, Bitstream, Monotype and Adobe font collections.

Ensign

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I agree with you....

Choppaface....:D as I said, it's not flash's fault, I used to teach Flash and Director, and am very much aware of it's capabilities.....

However my statement rings true that the majority of Flash sites suck!! And it's because it's such an easy package to learn, that people are being sucked in by the ease of making things move, with crappy sound and f**king terrible vector outline shapes!! forgetting about the idea and the notion of a strong foundation idea, and then developing animation, navigation design etc because they have applied some original thought to a creative process and are trying to solve a problem!! Not just copying a style!!

It's not Flash's fault!! It is the user!!:D

I love the sites where people play with actionscript or lingo, and get rid of any notion of a eye-candy, these are the best sites, because people are generally pushing the boundaries of the software and it's capabilities into new areas!! http://www.turux.org is a really good for seeing the capabilities of sound and visuals in Shockwave, little toys and experiments, pushing the boundaries of the software and the language!! They are creating something new and original..... not copying someone else's idea! or visual style!!:D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: I agree with you....

Originally posted by iGAV

It's not Flash's fault!! It is the user!!:D

Oh, is that right! Nothing worse than going to a site and having to look for the skip intro button to avoid the silly animation. Its kept plenty of flash animators with work, though.

Although I agree with most of what you have to say, there is one point that needs to be brought up. What we're seeing with the whole explosion of excess use of flash and eye-candy, is just a normal reaction to a cool new thing. Everybody needs an intro page because everybody else has a cool, slick animation on their site. What's starting to happen more now, is that people are realizing that you really don't need the silly little intro. It serves no purpose. People visiting you site go immediately to the second page, and now you've spent time and money on something that doesn't benefit your site.

Flash as an interactive GUI, however, has a much better future. By subtly using animations, transitions and such you can keep the eye candy but not suffer lack of usability. As Flash matures, I see it as the best option for making interesting, usufull and fun websites. The experiments are cool, but all they'll lead to is more advanced forms of eye-candy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.