Food price in Germany

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by colocolo, Dec 9, 2005.

1. colocolo macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'm planning my trip to Germany next year for the world cup, and I need the price of regular food to adjust my budget.

I would like to know, for example, the price of a McDonald's meal (just to have a price reference), the price of a typical sandwich and the price of a can of Coke.

I also checked the prices of hotel rooms through the Fifa page, and they seem high (though i expected this, after all it's the world cup).

So, a follow-up question: are there any motel chains I could check for cheaper prices?
    And by the way, are there any pages in English where I can find out prices for transportation between cities?

Any help from our Germany-based members would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Good luck on finding an inexpensive hotel room during world cup! One suggestion might be to look for a hotel in Potsdam, it's connected to Berlin with the S Bahn and is only about 45 minutes from the Centre. Another idea is to check out hostels, oftentimes they have private rooms for much less than hotels, although they may be a bit noisier during world cup. I paid 15 Euros to stay at http://www.globetrotterhostel.de/ It was nice, clean and conveniently located just off Warschauer Strasse in eastern Berlin.

I was in Berlin last month and prices were about 10% higher than in the US. A Döner Kebab was usually about 2 Euros. A single ticket on the U Bahn is Euro 2.10 a coke was about a Euro. Sorry I didn't eat at McDoof's so don't know the prices.

The best source for timetables and prices is www.bahn.de . They give you all the information you could ever want regarding train travel in Germany and in Europe.

3. g^3 macrumors member

I don't know your price range. The best hostel i've every stayed in is the Circus Hostel in berlin, its almost like a hotel.
    http://www.circus-berlin.de/

hope that helps

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can have the DB (Deutsche Bahn) site in English.

As for food: Don' eat in McDonalds. Try the local food. It's better!

5. colocolo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone for the responses!

And I do like German food a lot better than McDonalds, but as it is an international chain I was hoping it could give me a good price reference.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

According to this which is a little out of date (May 2004):

"Fast food: The report uses a price comparison for a McDonald's Big Mac, costing £1.94 in the UK and an average of £2 across Europe, as a fair yardstick. The burger product is identical no matter where you buy it, yet prices vary from lows of £1.01 in Poland, £1.26 in the Czech Republic and £1.47 in Hungary to a high of £2.69 in Denmark."

So it's likely that a Big Mac costs more or less the same in Germany as it does in the UK. Now all you need is to find someone in the UK who knows how much one costs here (I don't).

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    In Duesseldorf, one of the few places I can remember the prices of 'fast-ish' food, in the Altstadt (main drinking area), you can get a 'pig sandwich', basically a crusty roll with large chunk of roast pork with sauerkraut, with a local beer for €6. 9" pizzas from a take-out places were also around the €4.

I don't recall the local prices in Berlin being particularly high. It certainly seemed a lot cheaper than London (although if you drink spirits, it can get pricey) where a value meal in McDs is about £3 (or used to be at one point!)

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Any place is cheaper than London!

9. sebisworld macrumors 6502

A McDonald's Meal is about 4.30 € if I remember correctly. You can get by cheap if you shop at Aldi. And also, there are virtually no soda cans in existence anymore.

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

in austria mcdonalds burgers mostly are around <2.75 so i g ermany it's (i guess) around 2.50 for a big mac
    for menues it's 4.49 to 4.99 here in austria so i guess in german they are around 4.25-4.75 for the normal ones if you don't supersize or take specials things etc.